Good morning readers,
I think I have a confession to make to you. I have a condition that I have been trying to deny having for years. I was in complete denial of having this, but I think now that I can not deny it any further. I'm telling you about this so you can be aware of the signs early and hopefully keep you and yours safe. I'm talking about the condition called FFA...Fantasy Football Addiction.
It started out seemingly harmless. I was invited by my co-workers back in 1996 to join their league that they had started a year earlier. I didn't think nothing of it. Developing commadarie with some co-workers to improve my quality of life. The time needed was minimal. Just a couple of hours a year coupled with some brews and sports. What's not to like, right? I thought it was so right, that I invited my current co-owner, KG, on board for some fun. It got even better to me when we proceeded to win three league titles over the next five years, including back to back wins.
Next thing you know, I'm watching Sports Center, at 1 and 2 in the morning for updates. I'm watching the NFL Network for preseason games to "scout" who i'm picking in my upcoming drafts. That right...plural. Just last year, I participated in three different leagues last year, including two by one of the biggest pushers in the industry, ESPN. This year, I have added NFL.com to my list of dealers, making it four different leagues this upcoming season that I'm in. As Billy Joel said from his song, "...it was then I felt the stranger kick me right between the eyes."
What do I do? I feel like that the name of that movie, In Too Deep. I don't know if can come back from the abyss. And the bad part is, I don't know if I want to come back. I've been in this thing of mines for 14 years now and I like it. Don't bother to try an intervention with me because it won't work. I just admit this to you as a warning to hopefully save those close to you.
You and Amy Winehouse…”Tryin to make me go to rehab but I said no..no..no…)
ReplyDeleteMan you're in bad shape... glad I kept the game at a cursory view...smile
ReplyDeleteGreg, you started the same year that I did! I joined a league with some friends at AT&T, got the 1st pick in the 1st round, and made the rookie mistake of picking a QB with the #1 pick (this league only gives 3 pts for TD's thrown, as opposed to 6 for recieving/rushing TD's. I've been hooked ever since though, and I always look forward to the start of the NFL season, so I can empathize with your "plight". To paraphrase Diana Ross, "I don't need no cure" for fantasy football addiction.
ReplyDeleteLOL
btw, that 1st pick was Steve Young, and yes, he missed 4 games due to concussion. oyvay!!
Luckily I had Herman Moore and Carl Pickens (in a PPR league - woohoo), so I did make the playoffs!! Didn't win it all though. sob