It's game day in Baltimore. Smoke is pouring out of the machines. Out comes the team mascot. The crowd is getting hyped. When the intensity reaches a fever pitch, coming out the tunnel is not Ray Lewis, but...cornerback Heather Perez of the Baltimore Charm from the, wait for it...Lingerie Football League. That's right, beautiful women in scantly clad outfits hit the field to try to knock each others head off.
If you are still reading this blog, hear me out. They have the helmets, the shoulder pads and the clear visors across the helmets. Just not much else. Say what you want about this league, but in just it's second year of existence the 10-team league already has a nationwide cable television broadcast partner; corporate sponsors for everything from Rofé lingerie to Cutters, the sports performance gloves; and is finalizing a contract for a reality television series next summer. If you believe the fledging owner, Centreville native Mitchell Mortaza, they have already made a profit.
Who are these players? They include Baltimore starting wide receiver Brittany Tegeler, who was a captain and star on the University of Connecticut's women's soccer team. Her teammate, running back Ida Bernstein, ran track and played soccer at Syracuse, made the Big East All-Academic Team and is now in graduate school and plays for the women's national rugby team. Philadelphia's Dana Kent, a mom and, at 32, one of the oldest players in the league, was a record-setting lacrosse player at Division 3 College of New Jersey, leading her team to a 17-0 record and a pair of national titles. Talk about getting your cardio on.
Love it, hate it, but the fans have been coming out. Your Tube editing aside, the people that come to these games are into it. Crowd sizes are in the thousands. My opinion? Just seeing the highlights, it's no cakewalk. I do see a intensity level out there. Looking at some of those hits, you better eat your Wheaties. It's just those other body parts that get in the way.
I'm not getting paid for this, but there is a game in Baltimore tonight, if so inclined. Only in America.
Have a great weekend!!!
By popular demand (by one of my favorite people in the world) the Friday Freeze jukebox is back with a double dose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOEf05Lryk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI7x0bTOHd8
Sorry bro...i wouldnt go to a game if I had free front row seats on a Tuesday night with nothing else to do. I would stay home and wash my dog whether than see one of these games....I am to much of a football purist...give me a little league game on a Saturday morning with midget football. If I am watchin a gurl in lingerie...playing football is not what I want her to DO!!!!LOL...no interest
ReplyDeleteLet me get this straight..Friday!!! Purple Friday!!! Eve of the two biggest rival games in football!!! Baltimore browns vs the Steelers and you blog on women's football ...okay okay...how about your beloved deadskins and Donavan (Eagles Qb for 11 yrs) vs the Filthadephia Eagles and Mike Vick (NFL Player of the month for Sept)...shoe in for comeback player of the year...leading candidate for Player of the year and you blog about women in lingerie playing football....you missed the boat on this one buddy but you still my pick to replace Mike wilborn or PTI!!!!!
ReplyDeleteTommy Gunnz
Of course, being the TV sport junkie, I have watched the Lingerie League (in between other shows) and I must say that the intensity is there. Something about playing in just helmets and shoulder pads made me look. I was never one of those guys that went without knee pads, or elbow pads or at least wraps on the knees and elbows, so any player I see without pads and hitting hard I take notice.
ReplyDeleteThese players are basically without pads because the shoulder pads they wear are small , don't really cover the shoulders and the rest of the body is in Lingerie! No thigh pads. Yes you can see the bruises everywhere on their bodies during the game. I noticed they hit hard and at the same time they are not like the female full pad female leagues. Very entertaining
So anyway I asked a former female athlete what she thought, could she give the ladies a run if she was out there.............................she was offended.......go figure
So naturally I asked if it were a male lingerie league what would she say.............she said now that I could go for and would I get out there.............go figure
Me get out there, no way unless the pay is high, water coolers are replaced with beer, hot food is on the sideline, and a John Riggins oxygen mask is close....
....with a K
The Friday Freeze was the BOMB !!!!!!!
ReplyDelete