While I thinking about what to talk about today, there was just too much to focus on just one thing. While this may seem like a rant, it's not. Let's start with....
- The NFL officials. Depending who was your favorite team, you felt really abused if you were a Bills or Dolphins fan this past weekend. With 5-6 officials on the field and more than ten cameras focused on the field, you tell me that the officials could not determine who recovered Roethlisberger's fumble? Like Chris Carter says in the ESPN commercial, "Come on, man!!". The quote of the day was by Steeler head coach Mike Tomlin, who told the reporters after the game to hurry up with the questions because the bus was warming up. And while I'm a Ravens fan (second string), that was a tough call on the forward progress (or lack of) call in the Ravens/Bills game. Sports fans and fair play aside, another reason why this is such a big deal is the gambling angle. Literally millions of dollars were changed when those calls were made. I do believe in things that go bump in the night, and I do believe that when the refs get together on calls, they talk about more than the calls.
- Got to give a shout-out to my first string NFL team, the Skins, who showed some character of their own in beating the Bears. There is a different between a gunslinger (see Brett Farve) and just a shooter like Jay Cutler. The Skins have already equaled their win total from last year and are currently in the hunt for a, dare I say it, playoff spot. It just shows how far a team can go with a solid head coach/quarterback leadership team. While D Nabb is not lighting it up statistically, he is guiding the ship with a steady hand.
- The National Basketball Association begins it's 64th season tonight with the marquee game being the old guard (Boston Celtics)going up against the new jack Miami Heat, led by it's big three, King (or is it Prince?) James, D Wade and Chris "Cross" Bosh. A team hasn't been this hyped up like this in a while. While they are getting most of the pre-season hype, you can not forget about the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers, still led by the Black Mamba (Kobe Bryant). The story for me is will head coach Phil Jackson three peat for the THIRD time in his coaching career. Wow. I will also keep an eye on my pick for Rookie of the Year, Wiz John Wall, who is already a team captain. Competition for the award will be tough between him and the guy who I said in a previous blog we should have drafted, Wall's teammate at Kentucky, Sacramento's DeMarcus Cousins, who averaged 16.4 ppg and just under ten rebounds (9.6) in the pre-season.
- The Dallas Cowboys. Nah, that's allright.
Good job breezy but why you dish my cowboys LOL!!! We will win the wild card spot!!! Hey man I asked a friend of mine who I thought had football knowledge about the forward progress call in the Ravens game and he gave me a "purple haze response" (that's what I call it when you look at things strictly as a ravens fan". So I will keep my football discussions to you and your blogs" thanks for the outlet!!
ReplyDeleteOn point with all but the Raven's call. If you watch that play, the pile was actually moving forward still when Ray pulled the ball away. And don't get me wrong, I am not a true Raven's fan. Bogus call on the Steeler's call though. Miami got hosed!!
ReplyDeleteI agree, not worth talking about the Boyz!!!
Just wanted to stop in and throw my 2 cents in the ring, first of all let me clarify again that I am not a Raven fan, but they are the home team and I do hope they win when playing. This debate or back and forth started with Dallas's horrible showing when they were supposed to be playing the superbowl at home this year, or for the past 4 years for that matter. Dallas fans can never just say that the team is overratted or that they suck. And I argue continuously with my brother on this issue. The first thing they do is deflect the issue to other teams difficiencies. Yes, I dislike Dallas, but I also dislike the Redskins. I was original BALTIMORE COLT fan, they moved and thus so did my loyalties. I have followed and rooted for San Francisco since the drafted three defensive backs and started them in 1980. Baltimore's team moved to Indiannapolis, but do we refer to them as the Baltimore Colts. Cleveland has gotten another team and have continued there woeful ways of years past. If memory has also served me, Baltimore has won more than one playoff game in the past 10(ten) years. Dallas, oh, they won a Wild Card game and then gracefully bowed out. Remember, I am a Frisco fan and remain on the outside of the playoff ledger as well so I just wish just once, when a Dallas team sucks as this one surely does, just raise up and say so.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Loving the back and forth, it is FAN-TASTIC!!
Being a die hard Redskin fan, it pained me to draft Romo in my fantasy football league,
ReplyDeletebut it hurts even more for him to go down when he was getting to the easier part of his schedule.
I was salivating at the prospect of him playing against Jacksonville, and now he's done. Thought about cutting him, but would hate to see him come back early and kill me later on in the season.
If the Boys lose 4 out of their next 6, I can't see why they would risk bringing him back in for a lost season, unless Jerry just wants to appease the Cowboy faithful in his swank new stadium.
If somehow Kitna can rally the troops and they miraculously are in position for a playoff spot (I highly doubt it), maybe it would be prudent to put Romo back out there. More than likely, Kitna is going to get beaten like a pinata, since he never was the most mobile QB, and now he's 38!!
I always joked about drafting Romo, since I seem to have bad luck with QB's going down (yes, I had Brady 2 years ago, in 2 leagues). The curse continues!!