Not to be confused with MC Hammer, but it's NBA time. Here are a couple of appetizers to get started:
After watching the first half of last night's game between the Lakers and the Celtics, I was ready to say that the Lakers looked...old. There was no glide in their stride and no dip in their hip. That all changed in the second half. They defensively held the Celts to less than 33% shooting in the second half led by their twin towers (Gasol and Bynum). If there was any reason to trade Bynum, who has been in the discussion regarding the Carmelo (Melo, my man - can't help but rap the Roots song) Anthony sweepstakes, that changed with his 16pt, nine rebound performance. There was something for the Kobe haters as well as Bryant scored 20 of his 23 points in the second half as he continues to refuse to lose. They have not lost on their current seven game road trip. Props goes to the Ray-Ray of the NBA (Allen), who broke the 3-point FG career mark held by Reggie Miller.
More props go to Jerry Sloan, who ended a 23 year, 1,100+ win coaching career by resigning as head coach of the Jazz. Some said that this was prompted by a last second loss in which PG Deron Williams ran a play that was different than what Sloan called. In either case, what a run. To show my age, I remember when his replacement, Tyrone Corbin, was a hoop star at Depaul.
The team with the best record are the San Antonio Spurs, who are still single digits in losses and have lost only twice in 27 home games to date. Talk about the Heat's three stars all you want, but the Spurs three of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili (who have already won championships) are still showing that age ain't nothing but a number. These guys just go out and do their thing every night with no flash. The closet thing to controversy for me is Tony Parker divorcing his beautiful ex-wife.
Ah. Just in time for the main course.
Here's your Friday Freeze Jukebox (the song I was talkin about Melo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nozh5l13Auo
I feel you on the NBA, but not until after March Madness. Where was Shaq daddy last night he'll cause Bynum to be in foul trouble. The second season of the NBA is a few games away.
ReplyDeleteJerry Sloan had longevity but nothing since back to back finals losses to the Bulls...right? Will he be reborn somewhere in the NBA. You know I don't like retread tires....
The Roots, sa what man! If only Jimmy Fallon was on earlier we could enjoy them every night...I need tivo...
Speaking of the Celtics, a coworker mentioned that Garnett hit another player taking a
ReplyDeletejump shot in the private parts intentionally the other day. I didn't see the play, but he says it wasn't the first time, and Garnett seems to be a bit of a dirty player.
I was watching ESPN the other night, and they showed a clip of Garnett and another player (I think they were playing the Bobcats) shoving each other, and when the ref intervened, Garnett shoved the refs arm not once, but twice out of the way. I don't know why the ref didn't give him a technical, star status notwithstanding. Anyway, I'm gonna have a real dilemma if the Celtics and Heat meet up in the Eastern Conference finals - who to root for, or against - Lebron or Garnett.