Monday, February 7, 2011

Recap

So ends another season in the National Football League. This year's Super Bowl contest was a great matchup with the Packers bringing the Vince Lombardi trophy back "home" to Green Bay. I'm actually happy that game MVP Aaron Rodgers got rid of the remaining Brett Farve ghosts and monkeys off his back by winning. While I leave all of the post game analysis for the "experts", the mass comm in me wants to talk about the other stuff.


Right off the top, I wish that these so called professionals (singers) would take their craft more seriously. I'm talking about Christina Aguilera, who flubbed this year's National Anthem. If she would take doing this as serious as our soldiers are taking the protection of our freedoms to sing the song in the first place, we would have better performances. Coincidentally, it was 28 years since Marvin Gaye's rendition at the NBA All-Star game:

http://dave.multiply.com/video/item/35/Marvin_Gaye_sings_American_National_Anthem

The halftime show featuring the Black Eye Peas was....alright. There was a nice touch with Usher showing up freestyle to do his part from one of the songs, but aside from that...Maybe it's a generational thing but my favorite is still "Let's get it started".

The meat & potatoes of the non-football part are the commercials. While these were a little better than last year, I feel that the Towson mass comm majors that read my blog (you know who you are) could do at least as good of a job. My favorites included the Bridgestone Karma commercial in which the beaver saved the guys life (after sparing his) by preventing him from driving to a destroyed bridge, rapper Eminem repping Detroit (although his cartoon one, ehhhh) and the Volkswagon commercial with the kid tryin to spark the "force" within him. Budweiser and Coke-Cola were decent as well. But Joan Rivers as the new "Go Daddy" girl?......ahhhh, no.

http://www.youtube.com/user/adblitz?feature=ticker

Just hope that this will not be the last football game for the next year or so. Using "The Wire" vernacular, their is too much dope on the table not to get a deal done. Now, where are my NBA, NHL and college b-ball mugs?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah Breezy! Props to the Packers for playing 60 minutes of serious football and taking out those Steelers just like I knew they could. Gotta love Aaron Rodgers! The commercials overall were'nt anything special although I did like the Eminen spots and a couple of the Pepsi Max ads. Budweiser's singing cowboy got me too. I guess it's time for the hoops now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah another year is gone. I guess it's on to March madness for me.. homer pick- G-Town

    The ads were not as good as usual. The Audi 8 with the old people in the high end jail, "hit em with the kenny g' was funny, the Doritos with the dead fish and grandpa coming back to life (the lick the finger Doritos was - *&&^%$%) and yeah the beaver was good.

    The kitchen remodel with just a bucket of bud light, the pepsi zero with girl throwing the can and hitting the jogger. Dog sitter with the dogs thta did it all..


    The game, too many turnovers -3 for Pitt. Mike McCarthy out coached Dick Labeau. A. Rodgers 1000 yards passing in postseason that's saying something. Lost my game pick and my QB get's knock out pick...400 fans had not seats, thanks Jerry

    Ozzy Osbourne - whats a Beiber? ...Answer - I don't know kind a looks like a girl!

    ...with a K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of gave the edge to the Steelers, but was happy that the Pack won.

    Mendenhall is an excellent back, but I've seen him carry the ball like a loaf of bread
    on more than one occasion,so I wasn't surprised by his fumble. Granted, he was hit on the
    arm, but it wasn't like they put a helmet right on it. I bet he'll protect it better in the future.

    Seems like as soon as Woodson went out for the Packers, Roethlisberger was able to go to work.
    Packers fought thru alot this year, losing Ryan Grant and Jermicheal Finley (arrgh, had him
    in both my fantasy leagues) early on, so hats off to them!

    I'm also happy to see Hanburger in the Hall. Need to get Jacoby in their next!!!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Tim. It was good to see Chris Hanburger finally make the Hall of Fame!

    ReplyDelete