If you are a true baseball fan, you hope to see a great World Series game (or series) in your lifetime. While I have been fortunate to see a couple, last night's game six between the Cards & the Rangers has to be put in the discussion.
The Cardinals forced a game seven by defeating the Rangers 10-9 in extra innings, truly coming all the way back. They were one strike away (twice) from elimination. This was the first time that this has ever happened in a World Series game. It was also the first time that a team scored in the last four innings of a Series game in history. While I kept thinking that that they were playing out the string, as Public Enemy would say, the Cards refused to lose. It's actually worth it to see the highlights if you didn't see the game.
I'm not going to front: I kinda of stumbled onto the game in the seventh inning, just in time to see the run. I thought that I was going to see manager Ron Washington become only the second African-American manager to win a World Series (Cito Gaston of the Blue Jays was the first in 92). Not quite. In either case, like Bart Scott would have said, I can't wait for tonight's season finale.
As you know, I am a baseball man true and thru! I watched it and could not believe some of the stuff that happened. It was truly a great game, but also with many mistakes and that is what made it so compelling!!! Both managers were shaking their heads and wondering what next? But all in all, it showed how America's pastime is still the most skilled sport to play and that at any moment something is happening!! Boring my butt!!
ReplyDeleteStill wondering why Washington pulled his closer for Darrin Oliver!!!
Well Breezy,
ReplyDeleteYou know my thoughts of baseball (some nut said once--it's they only sport where fans fall asleep in the stands), but I do tune-in for the later innings during the commercials of whatever I'm watching. Last night it was the between the Caps & the NFL network.
I tuned in just in time like you to see the best part. Very exciting hitting or sorry pitching I not smart enough to know which. So tonight probably in a local "watering hole" (Tru Orleans on 4th and H- NE) I'll see the finish. I guess I should do the - "Bet on Black" thing no matter how much I dislike Texas....
...with a K