Friday, November 4, 2011

Prediction Friday

There are two compelling games for me that I have to give my barbershop opinion on.

On the college level, it's basically LSU (#1 in the polls) vs. the #2 Crimson Tide (one of my favorite team nicknames) of Alabama this weekend. For me, this is the national championship game, with apologies to Stanford and Oklahoma State. It has been more than thirty years since a #1 has played a #2 during the regular season. I understand that this game will be played in Alabama; I also understand that Bama has a solid quarterback in AJ McCarron and the prime time running back in Trent Richardson. I even get that the Tide has rolled to winning 25 of their last 26 home games.

Having said all that, I like the Tigers. One reason is that LSU is a great road team. They have actually won five of their last seven visits to Tuscaloosa. While Alabama's players will run through a wall for coach Nick Saban, Les Miles players will run thru a brick wall for him. While Alabama has at least seven projected pros on their team, LSU has their own crew of big-time players that will come with the emotion needed for the win. Also, look for the patented Les Miles trick play that could be the difference.

On the pro level, the premier matchup is the Ravens/Steelers game. Let's get the obvious out of the way first: I feel that the Ravens will win the game. I mean, lets not get carried away--I have to keep my Raven bandwagon ticked updated. But I hope that the Baltimore fans understand that this will not be the same Steeler team that they manhandled on opening day.

The Steelers have won their last four games on their way to the top of the division standings. The twist is that they have done it with their offence, led by Big Ben. They haven't run the rock particularly well, but they have thrown it around pretty good, led by my personal fantasy football stud Mike Wallace.

While I never worry about the Raven D, the key will be, you guessed it, Joe Flacco. The former Blue Hen will have to be more than a caretaker of the offence this week. He will have to make some plays this week. In watching the Ravens this year, their formula for success has been to allow their offensive star players to be stars. Run Ray Rice 25-30 times. Throw more to Anquan Bolden. Let your stars do what they do like Ray Charles.

Who do you like this weekend?

3 comments:

  1. I like the Ravens but in a real close one that could really go either way. Pittsburgh has definitely picked it up and righted the ship from week one. So I expect this game
    to be lower scoring and more physical than the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto.. Even with the players they will be missing it’s still Pittsburgh, we can’t expect to blow them out like before.. I see us winning a real tight, hard fought game..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sports fan and I talking strictly from a sports fan view...I love this weekend...I love college football so hey this game is up my alley...LSU is the fastest defense I have ever seen...but bama isn't anything to play with...I wish this game was in Missippi...no home team...But I m going with LSU...speed kills...Bo Schbeckler (spelling) Michigan coach after watching Rocket Ismeal run back a kick or punt against the maze and blue...next is a great matchup....Man I can't wait...bravens Vs Steelers...I predicted this before the season started that the bravens would get over the Steelers this year...but not so fast my friend...I am going with the Steelers on this one...i just think they are playing better ball...I disagree with you Breezy...their defense have been playing very well also..any team that beats the Pats ..are playing good defense....

    ReplyDelete