This will be my last blog entry for a while. It always happens around this time of year. The time where (aside from my job and family) nothing else really matters. It's time to get serious. I'm talkin about, of course, fantasy football.
This time of year I'm watching tape of pre-season games like Kobe. Sometimes I'll watch the same game two or three times to find that certain attitude or edge that will get me another title. I'm reading magazines, scouring websites and contacting all of my league sources to get the skinny on the sleeper players. You laugh, but I won two of the four leagues that I was in last year and made the playoffs in another.
This time of year I'm watching tape of pre-season games like Kobe. Sometimes I'll watch the same game two or three times to find that certain attitude or edge that will get me another title. I'm reading magazines, scouring websites and contacting all of my league sources to get the skinny on the sleeper players. You laugh, but I won two of the four leagues that I was in last year and made the playoffs in another.
Yes, I'm that serious. But then again, I know some guys that are in ten or more different leagues. Ten or more.
Since 1962, fantasy football has taken over the hearts and minds of men and women alike. More than 30 million people play fantasy football just online. Maria's fantasy football league, founded in Spokane Washington in 1981, has evolved from a eight team league into twenty-four franchises divided into two conferences. The league which I now run and closest to my heart, the Workplace Football League (WPFL) is starting it's 16th season.
You may ask why the madness. Well, first off, it's sports. You are the owner, general manager and head coach of your own team minus the headaches, bills and tantrums. You get the pure essence of the sport: the performances.
In some leagues, the performances really add up to real dollars. There are some leagues that have entry fees that run into the thousands with the winners winning as big. One league has a $10,000 award for first place. I'm sure that there are others leagues that have bigger payouts.
So if I don't return calls, texts or e-mails in a timely manner, if at all, please understand that this is serious business. After all, a guy has to have a hobby.
Keep your readership alive I hope...
ReplyDeleteGo Urban City Marauders!!!
ReplyDelete