Sunday, August 12, 2012

USA!!!...USA!!!

I had to write this one while I still felt the emotion and national pride of our men's b-ball team winning their second Olympic title in a row. Make no mistake Spain, (with their paternal twin towers in the Gasol brothers) gave the US all they could handle with their strong big man play. It was a shame that the refs were a factor when Marc Gasol got his fourth foul in the first half. Neverless, the US won the gold the old fashioned way: they earned it.

The difference has been the guy that's been the difference all year long: King James. Bron-Bron caps an incredible year by winning the regular season MVP award, the NBA title, the finals MVP and his second gold medal to go with his bronze medal. The only other player to do that was (who else?) Michael Jordan. His big time 3-pointer with less than than two minutes to play gave the States a nine point lead and never looked back. He has finally brushed the dust of "The Decision" off his shoulder and can now concentrate on winning not two, not three...oh, sorry.
 
As for the rest of the team, more accolades. Kevin Durant, the new gunslinger in town, broke the Olympic scoring record held by Spencer Haywood and led the US in scoring with 30 points in the title game. Anthony Davis ended a great year of his own by winning both the NCAA and Olympic titles as well as becoming the #1 pick in the NBA draft. Where does he go from here? And for all the titles and awards that head coach Mike Krzyzewski has won, Krzyzewski, who ends his Olympic coaching career with these Games, showed emotion himself by jumping off the bench after Labron's three pointer. I've never seen him do that. Ever.
 
As we continue to show our dominance in hoops (love to the women too, who won their 5th title in a row), I never get tired of seeing our flag go up ahead of the others when they play our anthem. Now if they would only play Marvin Gaye's version of the anthem.

3 comments:

  1. Here here G! Glad to see America show their dominance in hoops and other sports in the Olympic Games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I will reserve my thoughts on all of this, suddenly, positive press for Lebron..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro I believe it was Chris Paul lay-up that sent Krzyzewski jumping from the bench. Nevertheless, I too was very elated with pride and emotion outburst.

    ReplyDelete