Monday, April 29, 2013

Now what?

I already know that I will probably say something offensive about this topic. This will be because of a lack of complete knowledge about the subject. I am apologizing in advance.

Jason Collins of the Washington Wizards has become the first male athlete from a major sporting team to say that he is gay. No hemming and hawing; no planning on how to say it. He just said it. Now what?

When I first read the Sports Illustrated article, I said to myself, "So what?. I have always said that it is really none of my business what consenting adults do behind their closed doors. I never thought it was contagious or anything negative like that. That was their thing and their business.

My first experience with this topic was back in high school. There was this one player who came out when we graduated. We were teammates on the football team. He was the starting running back. We would hang out sometimes and I would always see him with girls and girls dug him. Never had a clue that he was gay. Him? No way. When he said it, I admit that I don't even remember my reaction. Even though I haven't seen him since graduation day, I would still consider him a friend.

My next experience (I think) is a little closer to home. One of my best friends (ever) to this day were on various athletic teams since we kids. We literally grew up (and hung out) together since the age of five and went to the same schools until we went to separate colleges. Even after college to the day he died, we remained the best of friends.

To this day, I cannot say to this day whether he was gay or not. Looking back on some things, some could make a case. I never asked him. Never thought to ask him. It didn't matter. He was one of the best friends I ever had. That's all I have to say about that.

The point that I want to make that you don't really know. And it shouldn't really matter. But it does. Especially in sports. The initial reaction that I possibly had back in high school was that of repulsiveness. In my boyz in the hood days, it was defiantly a manhood issue. But it was also clear cut. Everybody knew who was who and everyone stayed in their comfort zone. Now I wonder if my reaction prevented my friend from being honest with me, if he was. I will never know.

As for me, I got problems like ASAP Rocky.

5 comments:

  1. Breezy,

    I think I feel the same as one of your first statements on this issue, you said "That was their thing and their business".

    But then you said it matters in sports, really? does it? We all in sports had the guy we called and suspected of being gay and we got over it after the whistle blew.

    As far as the showers, I never look around to see who was looking at me. If I did see the guy looking at everyone, I said get your _ _ _ on chump. And it was over.

    So now ..

    I've had the bible thumpers hitting me with their book. The same book that was used to fool the slaves, excuse adultery and excuse child molestation. King James was such a women hater he killed his mother and left out many part in his version. That shut them up.

    Then the moral majority hit me, until I said if you don't like him (them) don't talk to, hang out or marry one. That shut them up so cause some family members would be kicked to the curb.

    And then the black folks who want to discriminate, I suggested a "colored only" toilet for them....

    So, he aint marrying my brother, she aint marrying my sister, we won't hunt meat together for dinner.

    He's gay (not that it's anything wrong with it - you have to say that now - Old Saturday Night Live skit) get over it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that should matter is if he is a friend, he should always be a friend. If he treated you with respect and did what he said he would do, that is all that matters. As far as sports, if he puts the ball in the basket, hits the ball as hard as he can, and run as hard as he can, sexuality makes no difference! That is unless you are sleeping with him.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,

    from the words of my 18 yr. daughter. "Why is this news" I agree with her, if I walk into a room or building they know what my skin color is. What is the point to put yourself out there, I have my own opinions but that's not for this forum. What I am ready for is a guy to say "I have an announcement I am Heterosexual and I slept with three women this week" Now that would be funny and just as absurd as somebody talking about their sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you as usual Bro. Faulcon. A real story would be he slept with 3 women every night and scored a triple double every game !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in some what of agreement with the below comments. Personally I can not control what an individual do with their life. I have worked with many gays over the years. And basically had no problem getting the job done since they know my position and their personal life was of no concern to me.

    In my younger days, I had a co-worker that my wife (girlfriend at that time) and I invited over for a soul breakfast (i.e. pancake, grits, fresh fish, coffee). He was from another country and wanted to experience black foods and we really enjoyed each other companies. Well as it turned out this guy died from Aids (because of a gay life style) and I was pissed. Why you say; because he taken my rights from me by us sharing glassware, silverware, etc his inaction could have exposed us (for those who don't know: Aids can be passed via saliva).

    So from a broader perspective it's good that he came out of the closet and giving his fellow player heads up on his life style. Now the problems are those players who select to part-grounds with him, they will be ridiculed for not understanding, and that's not right. So I agree with an earlier shout-out concerning personal thoughts of gays, that's for another forum.

    ReplyDelete