Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Shout - Out

I have this thing about wearing the jerseys of certain players. Generally, the jerseys that I wear on a regular basis are athletes that have retired. It's a respect thing. My limited collection includes Hakeem "The Dream", Dr. J (which I really love because cause it's his Nets jersey), MJ and Allen Iverson.

Probably will get my Ray Lewis jersey later this year. Don't tell my Skins fan friends.

The only player's jersey that I rock who is still playing is my boy D Wade. I told my significant other that I really liked him because I peeped him out from his days at Marquette and have followed his career ever since. She surprised me by buying me his jersey while she was vacationing in Miami, not knowing about my code thing. So I gotta rock it, you know. It's a respect thing.

There might be another jersey that I might be wearing of a current player in the near future. The past week has been pretty tough in the state of Oklahoma. The grade of the recent hurricanes that tore through there were upgraded to a five out of a possible five. That means the winds were more than 200 miles per hour.

It's times like these where what the former Skins coach Joe Gibbs used to say that the "character guys" step up. I'm not talking about the usual real heroes such as the firemen, policemen and just regular neighbors that step up. I'm talkin about guys like homeboy Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder making a play like a 4th quarter pick six interception.

KD made a million dollar donation to the Red Cross toward the healing process for the state. No press conference. No fanfare. He just said here. Now. That how he rolls.

“A national disaster is something that we can’t control at all,” Durant said. “And to have it hit so close to home — I call Oklahoma City my home now — it’s tough to go through. But we’re a city that comes together and we’ll bounce back from this. It’s tough. It’s tough right now. But the sun’s gonna shine soon. So we’ve just got to stick together.”

To paraphrase Redd Foxx from the movie Harlem Nights, I like stuff like that.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd read that Durant had donated a million dollars to the relief effort - shows what a character guy he is!!! Wish more players were like that - instead of squandering fortunes that they've made during their careers.

    ReplyDelete