I really try not to blog about sports stuff unless it really hits a twang with me or it's something noticeable. I was all ready to blog about either the Chad Johnson butt slap or the signing of one of my more favorite athletes, Tim Tebow. But then, one of my boyz reminded me of a doctor's appointment I had at nine o'clock last night.
The NBA channel showed a documentary about one of the most influential players to play the game. Ever. I was only seven years old when Julius "Dr. J" Erving averaged more than 32 points and 20 rebounds a game for the University of Massachusetts. He is only one of five players in NCAA men's basketball history to average 20+/20+ for a season. He was also one of the first players to leave school early to play professional basketball, joining the Virginia Squires in the American Basketball Association.
The Doctor was one of the early gate attractions in the young fledgling league. He was one of the first non-big men to bring cool to dunking during the game. People enjoyed the ABA in part because it was more entertaining to watch. It had more of a streetball kind of vibe to it. They also had their own stars in Artis Gilmore, George "Iceman" Gervin and Rick Barry. To show how competitive it was, Doc averaged 27.2ppg his first year in the league and only made All ABA Second-Team and came in second in the Rookie of the Year voting to Gilmore.
After winning two titles in the ABA, he then joined the 76ers where he eventually became one of the leagues first "ambassadors". He really help start the modern age of the NBA. Not Jordan. Not Bird. In fact, Earvin "Magic" Johnson called Dr. J to get advice about possibly turning pro early. In the documentary, you can still see Magic's excitement when he talked about Erving inviting him to his house for the weekend to talk about it. That's class. That was the Doctor.
After looking at the documentary, I get it. While he got respect from me for his playing ability, I also got to understand why he was the man in the right place at the right time for the league. Going forward, I'll wear my Dr. J Nets Jersey with a little bit more pride and tribute.
Very good documentary, now everyone knows why Converse was the shoe of choice in the mid 70's and early 80's! The Dr was making house calls!!
ReplyDeletewell written, now I'm mad I forgot it was coming on!
ReplyDeleteFor real, my first pair of leather shoes were DR. J’s.. He’s definitely one of my all-time favorite athletes.. Along with Ali, the only two athletes I would say that I really looked up too.. Obviously a great player, but I always liked how he carried himself off the floor.. Like Magic said in the show “where greatness meets class, that’s where God made the Doc”..
ReplyDeleteYep, the Doctor was something else. Too bad they couldn't have given the Virginia Squires an NBA franchise, so he could have stayed in my beloved Virginia!! lol
ReplyDeleteI wish Virginia could get some kind of pro team to call our own!
I'll still love my DC teams too, but...
Hey, Greg, a coworker tells me that a friend of his in New England who is a Pats fan buys Super Bowl tickets before the season starts, then if they don't make it, he just sells them. You ever heard of that? I'd like to do that in case the Skins make it. I checked online however, and on one site they were asking for $1900 just for the ticket!! yeesh!
I know a lot of people that would love to take a party bus up to NY if the Skins made it. That would be a blast, if the price was right.
Take care,
Tim
Mornin Brethren, All I gotta say is "R U WEARIN MAGIC SHOES"!!! 4 Da folks dat don't understand what I'm sayin. It's da insert from my favorite sport commercial of all time. I haven't seen it yet ,but from what it's an outstanding doc. ITZ MUST C TV!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait.
ReplyDeleteAre we talking shoes......I seem to remember sticking with the converse original leather "slash stars" white with blue; must haves along with the carry bag circa 75-76?
ReplyDelete.....with a K