Today's blog is about another reason I love my boyz. While I consider myself of average intelligence and street sensible, sometimes I need my eyes opened by others to see a different point of view about some things.
I got a special request from one of my crew to talk about Wednesday's incident with Clippers "enforcer" Matt Barnes. In their game against the Thunder, he got into it with Thunder big Serge Ibaka coming to the aid of teammate Blake Griffin. As a result, Barnes gets tossed from the game. In the third quarter, Barnes sends out a "tweet" in which he lashes out:
"I love my teammates like family, but I'm DONE standing up for these n---as! All this s--- does is cost me money."
This is the clean version. He did use the N--word. Cost him $25,000. Now before you think I'm going to talk about Richie Incognito, nope. I want to talk about the use of the N-word.
This is where my boyz come in. He had a issue with the fine administered by the league. For a black guy saying that word. My point of view off the top is that the fine was appropriate; he did violate league rules by "tweeting" during the game, even though he was tossed earlier. What am I missing?
My eyes were opened wider watching one of my favorite shows, Pardon The Interruption. One of my favorite reporters Michael Wilbon, who I have been reading since his days writing for the Washington Post (and one of the reasons I got into writing), gave me more perspective. He said not only does he use the word frequently (in his personal life--probably with his boyz), he also had a problem with the league decision. His problem was the framing the use of the word (by white people) as well as the "plantation" mentality that comes with it.
I get it. While Barnes shouldn't have used the word publicly (yes, tweeting is public), like Hancock said, I do feel some kind of way about this. While I personally don't use the word (too much), I understand where it comes from and it's use. Hear it all time. There are some rap songs in which I hear it's use in a positive light, although this is back in the 80's. I hope that someday in my lifetime the outrage from use of this word (by anybody) will minimize it's use.
But then again, I'm still looking for my 40 acres and mule.
First let me tell you how much I enjoy reading your Blog. You are generally right on point in your observations and commentary. Your comments about the N-word is a bit disconcerting for me. I like Michael Wilbon as well, however, I think he may be suffering from Post-Traumatic Slavery Disorder (PTSD). Acceptance of negative terminology intended to denigrate one's self is symptomatic of PSTD. Google Post Traumatic Slavery Disorder and read the PDF. I would be interested in your view point. Particularly since many black athletes use derogatory terms to describe themselves, and wear hairstyles, tattoos, flamboyant clothes, and abuse alcohol and drugs, and engage in other self-destructive behavior.
ReplyDeleteYour friend,
Dr. Percy
Dr. Thomas,
DeleteOnce again, looks like you got me started. You did it with my blog and you're doing it again. Like I said in my blog, I always appreciate listening to another point of view. This topic reminds me of the famous "John Smith" letter (whether it was real or not) on how to handle unruly slaves. I also still see those tactics used to this day. Wanted your viewpoint on reading this book by Dr. JoyDeguy. If you have any better suggestions on reviewing this topic, I would like to hear them.
Thanks again for the insight.
I have not read her book, however, I have ordered it and it will be here next week. After I read it I will send you my opinion.
DeleteDr. Percy
Don't like it, don't use it! Don't like hearing it from them or us!
ReplyDeleteDitto.. Couldn’t agree more..
DeleteI think that it's all about context. In reviewing challenges to the 1st Amendment's Freedom of Speech, the Supreme Court looks to time, place and manner. I think that the same approach should be applied. When's it used, where it's used and in what context it is used. If I'm with my boys and we drinking brew, no problem, to me. If it's in a public forum, i.e., social media, etc., problem. I don't deny that a double standard exists as to it's use by black people or others, but life is not always equitable and admittedly some double standards do exist and will perpetuate through time. Anyway, as I step off of my soapbox, I am reminded by the wisdom of Chris Rock, to paraphrase, "I love black people but I can't stand..."
ReplyDeleteNot a big fan, especially since I was bussed to school and remember the parents and fellow students using it in a demeaning way only. Back then the other folks felt it was their birth right to use the word. And would tell you that's just how we were raised, that's how it is.
ReplyDeleteSo now everyone thinks it's okay, there some context to the word. This country is conditioned culturally to be believe that line of thinking. Black people are conditioned to accept it. Not me. Another reason I don't roll with the Washington team anymore.
Today, now if I were white, I would use it anyway, anytime, anywhere and dare you to say something and if you went off.....
...there's always "stand your ground"
...with a K