My homeboy Kevin Durant won the NBA MVP award yesterday, breaking LaBron James three year stranglehold on the award. The five time All Star won his fourth scoring title in the last five years, averaging 32ppg this past regular season.
With all that said, this blog is only kinda about sports.
While most men have a strong connection with mothers in general, Black men in general REALLY have a strong connection with their mothers. Even guys whose mothers are no longer on this plane, still feel her spirit in their everyday lives.
It's no different with KD. In his acceptance speech, while he gave props to his teammates, it all came back to the person who made it all possible. He talked about when he (and his brother) and his mother moved into a apartment and it was one of the happiest times of his young life. They just hugged each other in the middle of the living room, having someplace they could call their own. He also talked about while his mother went to bed hungry, she made sure that her boys ate. She also played the role of coach, waking him up at five o'clock in the morning to run steps. She kept him off the streets and helped give him a chance at success.
Like he said, she's the real MVP.
Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers...both here and in your heart.
Right on time bro.. I just finished watching his speech (really shocked the network here didn’t block it).. This being the first Mother’s Day without my mother (can’t forget also the first without my cousin/sister Tracy) I wanted to watch it because I’ve been hearing about it all day and I wanted to see the part where he talked about and honored his mother.. I heard folks on the radio talking about fighting back the tears because his words were so heartfelt and being caught up in the emotions that he was obviously really feeling. And I was right there with them.. I watched the whole 26 minutes and had to pause it more than once.
ReplyDeleteOne other aspect I like that I hadn’t heard about was how much praise he placed on his team mates.. He singled out each one and said something to illustrate their individual relationship and also expressed his appreciation for the role they all had on making him the player he is today.
He showed that a superstar can be at the top of his game, considered the best at what he does and can still not feel it’s all about him.. He showed a level of humility that very few stars or pro athletes in general ever really show.. that might not be what Kobe or Mayweather fans can appreciate but I like that..
Had to get that shot in.. LOL
Although it was short, I really wanted to get it right for you. You were definatly on my mind when I wrote this blog and I didn't want bring up bad memories (sort to speak). As for KD, u know I want him to come on home to hoop (free agent after next season).
DeleteI appreciate that bro.. I figured you were referring to me.. No bad memories for me though.. of course the emotions are there, but they are going to be there regardless.. It’s almost a year for both and mother’s day is a time I’d be doing something for both of them.. But I’m good, at least for the moment.. I’m focusing on the good stuff & just being thankful for the time I had them..
ReplyDeleteI hear you about KD.. Mix him with Beal, Wall, Nene & them. Man that’s a h#ll of a squad.. He seems to like OKC, but if he were to leave hopefully he will come home..
I may be late however my 2 cents.... I was motivated to see Durant's speech after Craig's review.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen an MVP speech before and I am glad Durant's was the first. I have always been impressed with him as a young Man first and his speech illustrated that same sentiment. I do work in middle schools and high schools and I may start showing this speech to the young men I work with. Durant's speech can be a testament to those who are also being raised in a single parent home (which I can relate to).
Thanks Craig if I wouldn't have seen your comments I would have missed out .
Peace to All
Yeah, Durant is great!! Too bad he couldn't have stayed local (Terps, Wizards) lol!!
ReplyDeletevery interesting how his team mates and coaching staff hung their heads as he honored them, but Mom kept her head high.
ReplyDeleteI imagine they're just not used to it and it was very emotional, so let's not forget how to tell someone you appreciate them
he spoke softly with patience so every sentiment he shared wasn't missed, so regardless what the other MVP's said or didn't say in their speech, this one was unforgettable