
The reason for playing football? “I’m a really aggressive person, and I thought, ‘I can hit. I’ll just start coming out here.' “The first time I got hit, it was unexpected. I’d never really been hit that hard. But as soon as I got used to it, I was ready. I was ready to hit everybody.”
These comments are from Olivia Jeter, a defensive end and offensive lineperson for the Bladensburg High School junior varsity football team.
Yes Olivia Jeter. As in the female gender. And no, not soccer. American Football.
Ms. Jeter had been trying to play for two years. She was rebuffed totally her freshman year by the head coach at the time. This year, when new coach Lester Overton saw her at the initial informational meeting, he thought that she wanted to be a manager. When he found out that she wanted to try out for the team, he said that as long she didn't expect any special treatment, he was ok with it.
It was also ok with her father (Walter), who played football himself in high school and college. But not without apprehension. “I’m a little nervous. I want to protect my girl, but she’s all right. She’s strong. She has heart. I’m very proud.” said Mr. Jeter.
She then earned the respect of her teammates, by putting in the work like Tom Joyner. This includes work in the weight room. She can bench 225 pounds and squat 250 pounds. “I don’t have any pity for her, because she’s on the football team. Everyone gets treated the same, but I see her as a leader. She never gives up,” senior captain J’Waun Gallman said. “If she didn’t work so hard, it would be just like she was putting on a jersey just to say she’s on the football team. But that’s not the case. She got sick a couple times, and she kept coming back.”
Part of her outfit includes lipstick. She wears a different shade for every game. She told her coach, “I’m going to knock guys out and wear lipstick doing it."
Like Aretha Franklin sings, "All I'm asking for is a little....
I heard that yeah Lol
ReplyDelete“I’m going to knock guys out and wear lipstick doing it."
ReplyDeleteI love it!!
Very nice!
ReplyDelete