Today I'm pulling out my Raven card. It's no secret that while I grew up a fan of the Washington franchise, I have also been whole hardly accepted by the purple and black. It is on this platform that I make my case for what I believe is only fair.
Safety Ed Reed, one of the best safeties to play not just for the Ravens, but in the history of the game, is officially retiring today. As of today, two former players QB Johnny Unitas (who played for the Colts) and no brainer LB Ray Lewis have statues in front of M&T stadium. I feel that that they should make room for the player called (with love) Black. If my homeboy Jonathan Ogden was the sheriff of the offensive line, then Reed was defiantly the czar of the secondary.
Reed was an eight time All-Pro selection during his twelve-year career with the Ravens. Not Pro Bowl. All-Pro. This includes a Defensive Player of the Year award in 2004. Now let me put aside all the Raven career records that he holds. He is just one interception outside of the top five with 64 picks. The 1,590 return yards that he had with those picks is tops for a career. He also blocked three punts and returned them for TD's One more stat: he's in the top ten in most picks returned for TD's for a career.
And I'm sure that every Raven fan has their own favorite Ed Reed moment.
So let's see, Ring of Honor - check. Hall of Fame - check. Statue - ....? Really?
Ed gets his after J.O...
ReplyDeleteI'd have to agree with that one wholeheartedly!!
ReplyDelete