Monday, April 25, 2016

Kool-Aid

Paraphrasing the entertainer Ice Cube, this weekend was a good one for Washington sports.

Staring with the Nationals, they were down 4-3 going into the ninth inning. Repeat MVP candidate Bryce Harper, who originally got the day off from manager Dusty Baker, strode up to the plate and (you guessed it) hit his first pinch hit home run to send the game into extra innings. It was his league leading ninth home run of the year. To complete the fairy tale, the Nationals won the game in the 16th inning on another walk-off home run from Chris Heisey. As Homer Simpson would say, " I have no ideal who he is". The win takes Washington to a National League leading 14-4 record.

It's refreshing when I can say the name of the team without any apprehension.

Turning to hockey, the Capitals advanced to the next round of the playoffs with a classic 1-0 win over the Philadelphia Flyers. This was after the Caps, who were up 3-0 in the series, had lost the previous two games. Cap fans know what I'm talking about. Next on the block, another Pennsylvania team, the Penguins.

To top it off, we snatched one of the top five corners in the NFL last year in Josh Norman. He became available when his former employer (Carolina) couldn't reach a deal. While we haven't done it in the last few years under the new General Manager, when we really want a guy (and he's in the building), it's a done deal.

As a fan of all our Washington teams, I'm just starting to realize to myself that I am all-in with my teams. I had three types of Kool-Aid this weekend: Baseball (Grape), Hockey (Cherry) and Football (Orange) and they were all cold and delicious. Every time it's on the table, I'm there to partake.

I'm just glad that it's not alcohol.

1 comment:

  1. How ya been? yep, it was a good week for DC sports, with the Caps finally knocking off the pesky Flyers. I refused to watch game. My heart couldn't take it!!

    Harper is still adding to the legend - 4 opening day dingers already, when the record for a career is 8!!

    And much as I hate to tie up that much money in one player, if Norman stays healthy we'll have a very nice secondary.

    So, I'm pretty content right now!!

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete