Friday, January 23, 2026

1%

At this time in my life, I’ve decided to make a relatively new change in my life. After 18 years with the same company, I was forced out. Now understand, I get business decisions and I’m not looking for any sympathy. As my older brother always used to tell me, that’s life.

It still started a floundering process for me. I admit, I was resentful. I could see if I was I guy that came to work late regularly, wasn’t a team player or a rebel rouser in general. I wasn’t. I kept my nose clean, stayed out of trouble and wanted nothing more than success for my organization and my teammates. The way it ended for me there did make me feel a certain way.

But again, that’s life.

I say all of this to just to give you background and color to this moment. Still, now what?

Vince Lombardi was of the most successful coaches in NFL history. He won five championships (including the first two Super Bowls), won almost three of four games for his career and only lost one playoff game. The league trophy is called the Lombardi trophy. Some of his more memorable quotes are:

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”

“Winners never quit and quitters never win”

The one quote attributed to him that I have taken closer to heart is related to the speech he gave his team, the Green Bay Packers, when he took over the head coaching job. The previous year the Packers won just one of twelve games. The story goes that he walked into room and told the players:

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we will catch excellence.”

The following year, the Packers won the Western Conference.

To use the poker vernacular, I’m going all in. What does that mean? I don’t know. While I understand that’s confusing, I don’t know. Again, confusing. I’m going to work on improving myself to be the best I can be. In whatever that is. Whatever it is will include a have sports (or competitive) slant to it. With myself . After all, this is a sports blog isn’t it?

Here’s the risk. As the new jacks say, I’m putting myself “on blast”. While at the end of the day you are accountable to yourself, I want you to be partners with me on this. Again, I’ll let this lie like this and go forward.

Again, I don’t know. But I do know this: enough of this floundering.

4 comments:

  1. I know you can work your way out of your current state, just remember one step, one goal at a time. "championship teams are developed through consistent, daily effort rather than overnight success"

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, thanks for showing vulnerability & being transparent. Though I’m fresh out of historical quotes, I do know that God will provide you with His grace to cover you where you fall short. As the Apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:14, “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Jesus Christ.” For that is what will ultimately give you direction and bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I here you brother! We all have to be accountable for ourselves because nothing is guaranteed. Keep moving forward and make the life you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect opportunity to reset. As all things happen for a reason. This your (a setback is an )“opportunity in work clothes”. Roll on my friend.

    ReplyDelete