Wednesday, February 4, 2026

Memorial

Shock. Disbelief. Stunning.

The Washington Post, the newspaper and one of my media sources for DC (as well as world) news, announced this week that they are eliminating the Sports department in its entirety. Not cutting back. Not just making layoffs. Eliminating totally.

Not to sound corny, but I literally grew up with the Post. From the Washington Bullets heydays of the 70’s to the Washington Redskins dynasty years of the 80’s to their great Olympic coverage and investigative reporting, the Post was it for me in general and for sports in particular. I didn’t realize at the time, but I think the Post planted the seeds in my future development.

I think that it was working in the background of my mind by the time I got to college. I ended up majoring (and getting) my degree in Mass Communications. While there, I worked for the school newspaper, earning the position of Assistant Sports Editor. I was the “beat” guy for both the major school sports such as football and basketball as well as covering sports such as women’s field hockey and lacrosse. I then expanded my range with various internships with local TV and radio stations as well as eventually having my own weekly jazz radio show.

To paraphrase one of my favorite comics, “I’m not looking for no applause, I’m trying to tell you a story.”

Why didn’t I try to go farther with it? Well, when it came time to decide whether to be a starving intern working for nothing or a paying job, to quote Randy Moss, straight cash homie.

I didn’t have any big dreams to be a big-time media guy. I just thought it was something cool to do while I was trying to figure things out.

I think that the Post remnants are still in my head. July 2nd will mark the 16th year (what?) since my first blog post. While it’s been an on and off thing during that time, I still like doing it. Unlike one of my favorite all-time players, Allen Iverson, I am talking about practice.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Greg, everything we seemed to have grown up with slowly is fading away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years back in the day, The Post’s local competitor, was The Washington Star. When they went out of business, the new competitor was the national news. Now, the Post is being gutted from within. Who
    would have thought???

    ReplyDelete