While I try to be a "glass half full" kinda of guy, I admit to losing some water this past week. Nothing in particular was the reason for this, but then again, it was everything. It was just the general day-to-day stress of life in our fair land. Don't worry, this is not going to be a dump on you.
I say this to say that sometimes something comes up that is, right on time, and is just what the doctor ordered. I know what your thinking: What does this have to do with sports?
I was in Baltimore, Maryland (my second home from my undergrad days and living there for six years) this past weekend and as I was leaving to go back to Washington, I just by chance called one my boys and he told me about a couple of our friends who were playing in a day long softball tournament since 8o'clock that morning. I was actually teammates with a lot of these guys back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's before I walked away from the game (smile). After talking with my friend, I said, "Why not?" and journeyed over to Druid Hill Park to check it out.
When I got there, the memories just came back like a snapped rubber band. The team played on the same field that I played on in my heyday. It reminded me of not just team championships but also personal achievements that I will always treasure. What also enriched the experience was just hanging out with my B-more friends commiserating about old times and the hope of creating new future ones. This included seeing some old college friends that I hadn't seen since college. To cap it off, we won the game.
I drove back to DC recharged and ready for the upcoming week. I guess that this blog wasn't that much about sports, except to say how sports can help to cement friendships and encourage comrade. I also have to take this time to say that always find time for your friends and family in part, because at the end of the day that's all you have. As my girlfriend always has to remind me, "Sometimes, you have to take time to stop and smell the roses."
Song of the blog: Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - "Summertime"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_PDns23RWY
Top of the morning to ya!
ReplyDeleteHey Greg that was good reading and thanks for sharing. Seems like days of playing softball and outdoor activities are long forgotten.
As usual....you heard what I had to say! Your previous email requested some suggestions for your blog....sorry for not responding. However, my parting words to you last night were, "Here's something for your blog, Homey"!! Glad you took heed brother!! It just doesn't get better than yesterday!!!
ReplyDeleteHEY BROTHER,
ReplyDeleteBREEZY, I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU THE BATTLES WE HAD OUT AT DRUID HILL & CLIFTON PARKS THE COMRADE AND THE FREINDSHIPS DEVELOPED THROUGH THE PIRATES & FUNK MOB BALLCLUBS WAS PRICELESS. 100 + HEAT GUYS JUST GETTING OFF DURING THE WEEK JUST GETTING TO GAME TIME WAS SPECIAL(WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO) PLAYING BALL GOT YOU AWAY FROM THE EVERYDAY RAT-RACE. THOSE WERE SPECIAL DAYS BRO.
Can't miss this BUS.......... Breezy.....this needs to be archived.... Brothas I enjoyed the weekend extravaganza..... BUT I must say " My mind is here with me BUT my BODY is on the other side of Town" ( Im sore as SH!T ).... Until the next time.........Brothas..... drink the Kool-aid!!!!
ReplyDeleteDamm breezy man I almost cried...but I agree...as I left the park to drive back home to VA...I thought about the old days...but really my thoughts were more about not wanting to leave and how fortunately the brothas are in Bmore that they can just hook up anytime and take advantage of our special bond!!!! Then I kept my mind on the road and the mission at hand...see my family..peace brothas...much love
ReplyDeleteHey Greg,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! As we get older everday is Christmas, and I too have some fond memories back in Baltimore (i.e. Towson University, Morgan etc...). College days swiftly pass, imbued with mem’ries fond, and the recollection slowly fades away.
Best Wishes My Brother, hope all is well.
God Bless,