Thursday, September 9, 2010

Predictions - AFC

How ya doin sports fans. I would not be a sports fan, aside from a (now) sports blogger, if I didn't take a shot at who this year's playoff teams will be. The only difference is that i'll be on the record, so there will no plausible deniability.


In the AFC East, I like the Jets over last year champs, the Patriots. In the past, if you had Tom Brady, that was usually enough. This Jet team will win by sheer force of personality led by their coach, the colorful (both in person and language) Rex Ryan. I also was swayed by watching them on "Hard Knocks". Now that's drama. And besides, Revis is back. Ryan was the first coach I've seen (not that I've seen too many) that openly said that he wanted a particular guy on his team. Now that's honesty. Which is why his players would run through a brick wall for him.

In the North, that's a whole nother for ya. It is wide open. It will be tough for the Bengals to repeat as champs. The Ravens, who because of my Baltimore ties is my second favorite team, really upgraded at the wide receiver position. To be honest, Joe Flacco better be careful with Marc Bulger in the wings. Add Ray Rice and you have, what most experts are picking, a Super Bowl team. Speaking of Super Bowl teams, don't count out the Steelers, in spite of the Big Ben suspension. Two years removed from a SB title, they have just about retooled their squad, making them the "wild card" (sort to speak) team in the division. Keep an eye on budding star WR Mike Wallace. No, not the 60 Minutes guy. Regarding the Bengals, they have also upgraded at the WR position, adding probable HOF receiver Terrell Owens. They have their own solid running game with running back Cedric Benson.

The AFC North begins and ends with the Colts, who have won ten plus games seven years in a row. Knocking at the door is the Houston Texans, who barely missed the playoffs last year. My darkhorse team for the this year is the Tennessee Titans. They have the top running back in the game in Chris Johnson as well as a much improved QB in Vince Young, who will produce his own kind of "Vincanity" this year.

Rounding out the AFC is the San Diego Chargers, my pick in the west. Despite improvement by the other teams, in particular the Raiders, it will be business as usual. I'm not forgetting the Broncos, who will also make some noise in the division...kinda of.

Tomorrow: My NFC Picks.

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to stick with the Jets after their weekend performance?

    ReplyDelete