I was going to use the word Cinderella to describe the Richmond based Virginia Commonwealth Rams, who have come all the way from one of the play-in games to being within two wins of their first final four appearance. But then I decided to the use the more appropriate term to describe then: ballers. They have the one most important trait that keeping them in the tourney; they are peaking at the right time. They come into their Friday night matchup against Florida State looking to (to use the vernacular) keep it moving.
VCU, who actually have the 11th best home winning percentage (.846) in Division I, got to this point by beating Southern California and trouncing both sixth seeded Georgetown and third seeded Purdue. They been doing it with solid guard play from Joey Rodriguez (15 pts, seven assists/game), great big man play from Leonardtown, MD native Jamie Sheen and unconscious three point shooting (63%). They have been basically hitting the open jump shot and going after the loose balls. And you gotta love their head coach with a name like Shaka Smart.
While I don't consider VCU a cinderella ballclub, I'm sure that they won't mind if the shoe continues to fit.
Talk to you after the weekend. Enjoy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment