Before we step totally into the madness, lets talk some football...it may be the last time for a while.
It looks like there will a lockout by the owners that will prevent the players from going into the team facilities to help prepare for the season that may not happen. You would think that adults could split nine billion dollars (cash made last year by the league) fairly. But I digress.
The NFL draft is scheduled to begin April 28 in New York City. This is a big moment for some guys, who in some cases have dreamed all their life of the moment when their name is called and they walk to the podium, sport the team jersey/cap and shake the hand of the commissioner. The players union, which by the way technically does not currently exist because they decertified themselves, is asking these top players not to attend the draft. Talk about being put between a rock and a hard place.
On the one hand, the union (?) is asking these future members of their union to stand with their future brethren and show solidarity. On the other hand, you will get off on the wrong foot with your future employer, if you make the team at all. In addition, this new deal will probably also significantly reduce the size of your signing bonus as a result of the new agreement. You also deprive your friends and family (in addition to yourself) of that moment that you have arrived and worked for most of your life.
Lot of issues in play here. One, I think you do have to show some respect to the players in which some of them are in their twilight of their careers and are facing probable blackballing from NFL teams just to ensure that you as a new player get a fair shake. This includes help after your playing career is over regarding health issues. You also will face some these players, on both sides of the ball, that will remember that you either stood with them or you didn't. That may result in some retribution on the field. On the other hand, these guys will not be signing your paychecks. At end of the game, all you have is yourself and what you can do for you and those close to you.
Like people always say, you are responsible for the choices that you make.
This one really gets my dander up Greg. I hear the veteran players kicking that old union, cross the picket line rhetoric. I just think that this is the wrong place to try to score political points. These guys have been working hard all their lives to get to the NFL and the draft is a once in a lifetime experience. They only get that one chance to walk across the stage and get that team cap and jersey. Why take that away from them? Draft picks not walking across that stage is not going to get a new agreement done any faster. To keep it real the NFLPA is now de-certified. They are'nt a union right now. So how are you going to tell these young bucks to to toe the line of a non-existent union? The NFL players and DeMaurice Smith need to stick to the legal strategy that are working on now and find a way to get an agreement and leave the rookies alone!
ReplyDeleteWell I for one have a very different opinion, I think the draft should be postponed altogether, the draft is all about trading picks for free agents and vice versa, why not wait? Just my opinion.
ReplyDeleteThat’s tough. I probably wouldn’t go but I wouldn’t be mad if somebody else went. It’s a big thing.
ReplyDeleteIf I were the NFL tho, I would just fire everybody. How you like that? Have fun working at Sears beyotch!
55 round draft! And with the 452 pick, the Washington Redskins select Frank Denison from the State’s Attorney’s Office!
ALL-PRO, baby! I would quit here and play for free! OK, medical coverage.
Nice G...
ReplyDeleteSorry I am late but I wanted to comment on this topic....Sorry but if I was a player about to be drafted ...I would say fuked the union and enjoy my lifelong dream!!!!
ReplyDelete