When I started reviewing the Mavs/OKC Western Conference finals, the first thing that I noticed was that this is only second time in the last 13 years that there was no one named Tim or Kobe in the finals. The next question that I asked my crew was, “Who’s going to check Dirk?” I understand that OKC has the new jacks in Durant and Westbrook, but my question was still “Who’s going to check Dirk?”
See what I mean?
In the Mav’s 121-112 game one win, Oklahoma City found out at least one thing: Dallas can keep up scoring wise with the Thunder, who is the highest scoring team in the playoffs. Dallas is the best shooting team in the playoffs (47.6%).
Dirk Nowitzki is giving Euro players a good name. The jump shooting 7-footer (I know, it doesn’t sound right) made 12 of his 15 shots from the floor and set a NBA playoff record, making all of his 24 free throws. It really didn’t matter who they put on him. While K. Durant tried to match him by scoring 40 himself, it still didn’t have that flavor of say, the Bird/Nique matchup of the 80’s. It didn’t help that Jason “the Jet” Terry was flying high, scoring 24 himself. This was Dirk’s night all the way. The Thunder will have to double him to have a chance because he is one of those players that could do that every game.
Meanwhile, the Eastern bracket continues tonight as the Heat hope to get their first win this season against the Bulls. Miami looked rather, well, ordinary in their game one loss. I’m from the school where defense wins championships and while the Heat did out shoot da Bulls (47% to 44%), they only got 15 points from their bench while their big two (Wade and James) shot 12 for 32. It makes me nervous when DWade (my boy) actually applauded when he saw the replay of him getting posterized by Taj Gibson. I want to mention here that Gibson has been playing with a heavy heart this entire year, losing three of his best friends to shootings the previous summer. And no, they were not in the life.
The Heat has learned that while they do play defense, they found out that Chicago plays defense. It’s time for the Heat coaching staff to step their game up or they will continue to cry themselves a river.
So far no one can check Dirk. He was incredible last night racking up those 48 points. The Thunder need to come up with something quickly to deal with Dirk or this could be a short series. I look for the Thunder to come back hard in the second game but will it work?
ReplyDeleteI like the Thunder just because I want to see the Bulls vs Thunder in the final, but Dirky came out strong. I'm counting on the OKC young legs to run up and down the court.
ReplyDeleteDurant has to match Dirk then each team really only has one other scorer. Terrry - Dal , Westbrook- OKC, add up all the rest on each team and you have maybe a one more for each side.
So can Dirk last longer then the youngins....
I with you KG double Dirk in the post, he can only turn one way, other than that - it's a one leg up (put your booty on the floor.... sorry bout that.. ) fade away.. that he seems to hit also...
Good first blow for Dallas , it's still dallas so no credit here....
K