Thursday, May 5, 2011

Over

What? We out of gas already? We just got started.


As one of my boyz (who doesn't even watch hockey) reminded me last night, the playoff run of my Washington Capitals is over like that, whacked like Omar on the Wire in four straight games by the Tampa Bay Lightning. Making no excuses, Tampa has ran their playoff win streak to seven games and move on to the conference finals. The Caps, the best regular season team in the Eastern Conference the last two years and winners of their division the last four years, actually did better than last year when they were eliminated by the Canadians last year in the first round.

While I don't agree with my esteemed colleague that I was grabbing their bra strap, I admit that I hoping for a championship run that I could call my own as a Washington fan. While I always enjoy the Raven runs in the playoffs, I wanted the opportunity to stick out my chest with a team that was chasing a title of it's own. It wouldn't be so bad if the Caps valiantly fought to the end and gave every drop of energy they had. Instead, they went out with a whimper instead of a bang.

So now what? It's hard to get rid of a coach with so much success (4 division titles in a row). But we all know coaches that can only get you to a certain level of success and no further. Even though head coach Bruce Boudreau is well liked in this town, it maybe time for a change. This decision has to be balanced against the young team they have developed. Tough call.

While I pour my glass back to the half full level, I am still proud of the effort my home team gave this year. It's better to figure out how to get to the next level of success than not to move at all.

BreezyG is done for this week. Here is this week's Friday's Freeze Jukebox a day early. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1eHAyU0r0&feature=fvst

4 comments:

  1. Take your lumps my friend..as with all sports- defense wins championships. So maybe a new defensive specialist or two on the ice or sidelines. And then it never hurt to have a few "enforcers" on the squad to intimidate


    ..with a K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boudreau is 17-20 in playoff games. I like the guy too, and remember him taking over the
    Caps a few years ago and turning them around, but, it's funny that we pick up Jason
    Arnott in a trade late in the season, who promptly comes in and seems to show his
    new young teammates what it takes to win. Excuse me, but isn't that what a coach should
    do?? Seems like the Caps need a culture change - they are one of the biggest teases in pro sports that I can think of. Are we overestimating the talent base of the Caps, or is it the schemes and motivational tactics of the coaching staff that are lacking?
    I'm definitely a home town sports enthusiast, so it's tough to see our pathetic NFL,MLB, and NBA representations flounder year after year, then have an NHL team that seems to have an abundance of talent just choke year after year!! ARRRRRGH
    DC must have offended the Sports Gods at some time or another. LOL!!

    p.s. The one glimmer of hope for sports in DC is having Leonsis as an owner.No disrespect to Abe Pollin, who was a great guy, but I'm glad that Ted was given the opportunity to take over the Caps and Wizards.

    Now let's just get Derrick Williams in this years draft, and Dwight Howard in free agency in 2012!! Yeah, that's the ticket!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw...he did a re vamping this year...one more year to tinkle with a few things then...the run is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    I like your thinking. Mr. AOL has definitely shown he's in the game to win. forget Abe, was he really that great, what can we brag about other than 78-79 and The MCI/Verizon Center, which probably would have happened. 17-20 is not good no matter how you slice it.

    And on Williams, yes, or the kid from Ariz or the one Morris twin- a true power forward right.

    PS - don't let me forget the Capitol Center---so many of concerts, so many brain cells lost and hearing lost....

    K

    ReplyDelete