Friday, July 22, 2011

Popeyes

Here’s that two piece spicy blog that I promised you last week.


First, football is back…almost!! I was going to admit that I was jumping the gun because I always thought that the owners couldn’t afford a reduction of the ten to twelve paydays they get per year. That was before I found out that the owners ratified the contract first. I feel a hustle coming on. These owners didn’t make the millions that they have (and are) making by happenstance. By approving the contract first puts all the pressure on the players to agree. Skins player rep Vonnie Holliday said early on in a “tweet” that the players have been bamboozled, hoodwinked…led astray. Takeo Spikes said on Mike & Mike in the Morning, that the players were disrespected by having a contract thrown in their face and told to sign without seeing it first. He responded by saying that the players have no timetable and will approve the deal when the players feel that it’s “a fair deal”.

Let me say that I am in favor of the players doing their due diligence and getting the contract that they can live with, even at the expense of a possible shortened season. Remember, this is a sport where all the players are one play away from retirement. And while the average career of a NFL player is less than four years, they are still entitled to the benefits and help from a sport that is estimated to make 120-150 billion over the life of this ten year contract. And as Tony Montana said, “That is a lot of money.” Stay tuned.

Today’s second piece: NBA Hardwood Classics which comes on the NBA network. Watching these games reminds me of why I love this game. The game that inspired me to write this was the game 6 win by the Portland Trail Blazers over the 76ers, giving the Blazers their first league championship in 1977. Memories range from watching Hall-of-Famers Dr. J and Bill Walton (series MVP who had 20 points, 23 rebounds and 8 blocks in game 6) to ballers Lloyd Free & Doug Collins (that’s right, I said Doug Collins) to guys like Maurice Lucas, who are no longer with us, having his biggest day in the sun. Did I mention that Brent did the game? Maybe it was just the game that I saw, but another thing I noticed was the lack of jawing by the players to the refs.

Now if they would only show the Bullets championship clincher game from 1978.

Enjoy both the Friday Freeze Jukebox and your weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyf0YwUJcqk

No comments:

Post a Comment