I'm still conflicted.
For the past few years, I have struggled (as a sports fan) as to where to place my football loyalties. Since childhood, I have been a Redskins fan. Despite the offensive name, I have cheered for the burgundy and gold from the days of Charley Taylor and Larry Brown to Art Monk and Darrell Green. I was there through our dynasty years in the 80's and have stayed a loyal fan with the team through our more recent leaner years.
Then I went off to college at Towson State (now called Towson University) in Baltimore, Maryland. While there (which includes living there for six years), I have developed lifelong friendships both on a personal and teammate level. Like I always say, you never get tired of winning championships, no matter what the level of competition. But like Houdini says about friends, how many of us have them?
Then came the Ravens.
I have always had respect for the Ravens since they came to B-More in 1996. They showed me something by drafting a offensive tackle with their first pick (#4) as a team. Their management, led by the Wizard of Charm City GM Ozzie Newsome, has always seemed to push the right buttons to get the right guys in the right place at the right time. By picking at least five (?) future Hall-of-Famers that include Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Jonathan Ogden, the Wizard will probably be one of the few to get in the Hall as both a player and front office guy.
I have become more immersed in the Charm City life more so in the last few years, including my recent recovery from my injury. I go back to the O'Dells and Pascal club nights. On most Sundays, I'm at Club 29 rooting for dare I say (?) the purple and black. Chances are that I will probably end up living there.
For the past few years, I have struggled (as a sports fan) as to where to place my football loyalties. Since childhood, I have been a Redskins fan. Despite the offensive name, I have cheered for the burgundy and gold from the days of Charley Taylor and Larry Brown to Art Monk and Darrell Green. I was there through our dynasty years in the 80's and have stayed a loyal fan with the team through our more recent leaner years.
Then I went off to college at Towson State (now called Towson University) in Baltimore, Maryland. While there (which includes living there for six years), I have developed lifelong friendships both on a personal and teammate level. Like I always say, you never get tired of winning championships, no matter what the level of competition. But like Houdini says about friends, how many of us have them?
Then came the Ravens.
I have always had respect for the Ravens since they came to B-More in 1996. They showed me something by drafting a offensive tackle with their first pick (#4) as a team. Their management, led by the Wizard of Charm City GM Ozzie Newsome, has always seemed to push the right buttons to get the right guys in the right place at the right time. By picking at least five (?) future Hall-of-Famers that include Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Jonathan Ogden, the Wizard will probably be one of the few to get in the Hall as both a player and front office guy.
I have become more immersed in the Charm City life more so in the last few years, including my recent recovery from my injury. I go back to the O'Dells and Pascal club nights. On most Sundays, I'm at Club 29 rooting for dare I say (?) the purple and black. Chances are that I will probably end up living there.
On the other hand, I am a DC guy. Like Dorothy said, there's no place like home. I root for all of the home teams, including the Washington Kastles tennis team who is trying to repeat as league champs. My frustration with the Skins getting the latest flavor of the month only to have that taste gone by the time we get it was taking it's toll on me. It would be so much easier if the Skins management was better.
On that note, they may have turned the corner. Ever since owner Dan Snyder hired a real GM in Bruce Allen, the Skins have seemed to made more sensible football decisions. And, as I said before, I am all in on RG3.
My watershed day will probably be December 9th, when these teams meet. How's that for timing?
As far as you and the Redskins it is like most relationships, I will love you if you let me. When I read your blog I had the picture of one of those Animal Planet documentaries, yes I still love animals. When an elephant dies they all linger around and will even come back for years to the sites and caress, smell and move the bones. They seem to actually remember the ones that have gone on and even teach the young ones. That is the picture I get of you and the Skins. You loved faithfully and gave over whole chunks of your life to them. You defended them and dare I say even prayed for them. Despite your attention and your ability to mark your days by their great games and seasons they won’t/can’t get back up. Even in that elephant herd when one goes down another rises to take its place and lead but the new leader and herd never forget the ones that have gone on and taught them so much.
ReplyDelete