As much as I love football, I try very hard to keep the perspective that it is just a game. In the big picture, football is just a form of entertainment that people enjoy. People use it as a form of escape from the rough day-to-day that we all deal with.
Maybe that's what was on the mind of Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith. He had found out early yesterday morning that his younger brother, Tevin Jones, had been killed in a motorcycle accident. For Smith, this sudden death was new territory:"...I never really had to deal with a death in the family, let alone my brother. In our family, everyone's so tight. Just like a lot of other families." Smith was a father figure to his six younger siblings growing up, helping them get ready for school while his mother both attended school and worked.
While it would have understandable for Smith to miss the game, he didn't. He contacted head coach John Harbaugh and told him that he wanted to play in last night's game against the New England Patriots. "I texted my mom when I got to the stadium. That was when I knew I was going to play," Smith said. "She was excited about it. She said, `He'd want you to play.'"
"He'd want you to play."
I cried with him at the start of the game and applauded both touch downs (while wear Pat’s cap, jersey, pants and sneakers).
ReplyDelete