It was Super Bowl night, and I was hanging out with my boyz in B-More. With the game already decided, we took the party to the backyard for more male bonding stuff when it happened. One of my crew is a die-hard Cowboys fan. Has been for a while. In spite of this poor judgment, he is still one of my best friends.
Anyway, in the split of a instant, it happened: He converted. He came home. He is now a Ravens fan. One of my other boyz, who thought he was joking (as did I) gathered every one together where he in fact confirmed his statement. He is now a member of the purple and black. He has not given a specific reason for the conversion, but I'm sure it was a combination of things both on and off the field. I still wasn't convinced until I saw his truck the following weekend. There was no star on the truck. Anywhere. It was gone.
It's true.
Flashback to Super Bowl night. After my friend, who shall remain nameless because he is now in the Ravens conversion protection program, all eyes were on me like Tupac. While I never went through a Greek pledge period, I got a whiff of it that night. There they were, ten plus guys, who are some of my closest friends on the planet, were there urging me to follow my friend's footsteps.
Being a fan of the Washington franchise all my life, they were asking me to, in a sense, give up a part of my identity not just as a fan but also as a Washingtonian. While my team has also gone through it's trials & tribulations, they are still my team. Even if they don't play their games in DC anymore.
Now that I have said all that, I thought about it. I thought about it hard. I thought about it very hard. My boyz didn't know it at the time, but if someone had thrusted a hat in my lap, that might have done it.
For my regular readers, you know that I have been conflicted about this for the last couple of years. That debate inside of me has not gone away.
In either case, next season is going to be a very interesting year for BreezyG.
Maintain brother, they been on me for years!! Go 49ers!!!!
ReplyDelete