When I celebrate Black History Month by kicking some knowledge, I always try to really dig, as the DJ's say, "back in the stacks". From my past topics ranging from the Hens to boxing great Joe Gans, I want to demonstrate both the richness and celebration of Black History.
I always try to be honest with my readers. So when I think of Charles Follis, I think of the movie Casino when a bar patron, after seeing Sam Rothstein come into the bar to much fanfare, says "who is this guy?"
Charles Follis (above) is THE first black professional football player. He played for the Shelby Blues of the Ohio league from 1902 to 1906. He was nicknamed "The Black Cyclone".
Follis entered Wooster College in 1901 and played amateur ball instead of college ball. When the coach of the Blues first caught a glimpse of Follis, he decided that he rather have Follis play with his team instead of against his team. He helped lead the Blues to a 8-1-1 record, losing only to the eventual league champion. In 1906, he suffered an early season injury, but came back the second half to contribute. An injury on Thanksgiving day ended his football career.
This is why I love research. In 1975, historians discovered old editions of the Shelby Daily Globe newspaper and verified in a September 16th, 1904 edition that Follis had indeed signed a professional contract.
While playing for Shelby, one of his teammates was a student at Ohio Wesleyan University who played football. Branch Rickey later became the general manager of the baseball Brooklyn Dodgers and signed Jackie Robinson to a major league contract that broke baseball's color barrier.
My research didn't make the connection, but I will: No doubt that watching the "Cyclone" had a influence.
His history making didn't stop with football. He also became the first black catcher to move from college baseball to the Negro leagues, doing the Bo Jackson thing before Bo Jackson. He played catcher for the Cuban Giants in 1909.
Hollis died a year later from pneumonia at the age of 31.
So, if you ever get on Jeopardy, you know the question to the answer " He was the first Black professional football player."

Greg, once again you hit us with the crack research. Just goes to show how much black history is still little known and undiscovered. Thanks for the enlightenment my brother!
ReplyDeleteI concur, damn good info!
ReplyDeleteEXCELLENT WORK ANDY !!!
ReplyDeleteDitto.. You were really on point with this one GAJ..
ReplyDelete