Friday, August 28, 2015

Now



I don't know whether to call it bravado, swag or just plain (to use a old skool term) wack.

Back when he first entered the league, quarterback Robert Griffin III of the Washington franchise was considered the closest thing to a savior for the team. I myself said in a blog entry when he was drafted #2 overall in 2012 that I was all-in with RGIII.

That belief was further validated when he lead Washington to a division title, throwing for over 3,200 yards and running for more than 800 yards. He was also selected to the Pro-Bowl. That's the good news.

The bad news began that same season in week 14 against my favorite AFC team, the Baltimore Ravens. He was cracked (legally) by nose tackle Haloti Ngata, spraining his knee. In the playoff game against the Seahawks, some say against doctor's (and head coach) orders, he tore both the LCL and HCL ligaments.

To be honest, he hasn't been the same since.

The low point came the following year in a week twelve 27-6 loss to the 49ers in which Griffin did not score an offensive TD for the first time in both his collegiate and professional career. Last year he dislocated his ankle, winning only two games. 

Fast forward to this year.

He said in recent interview that he considers himself the top quarterback in the NFL. Before my head exploded, I read the entire quote:

"I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the league, and I have to go out and show that," he told the station. "Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they're not a top competitor, they're not trying to be the best that they can be."

Whew.

When I heard it from the press, it sounded so different. Arrogant and overconfident. Now, weeks later, like Run DMC would say, disillusion is the word.

Let's make this real simple: I like my quarterbacks to do one thing...win. If you talk that talk and win championships, to the victor go the spoils. But when you have only one division title  to your name, it's time to be quiet. Like your parents used to say when you were a kid, just go play.

5 comments:

  1. What's up Greg geezy? I think offense and defense players don't like him. You saw Garcon drop a clear touchdown ball that was right in his hands! The way he gets hit and nobody helps him! Oh, when he hurt his knee he slid feet first and they are not supposed to touch the quarterback! No penalty, nothing! Head first he is fair game. They should let him go help another team win a Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed all those things as well. At the end of the day, it's still about making plays. You want to give your team a chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI- Sit him this week! The Blackbyrds started his "injury woes" and have no problem finishing the job...just saying

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Greg. I agree with you 100%. RG3 should just shut up and play, and try to

    prove himself. Sad to say, I'm too full to drink any more of the RG kool-aid.

    Hurts, took, because I bought the jersey, framed pictures, and really wanted him to do

    well, just for himself, let alone for my pathetic, Dan Snyder run, joke of a franchise!

    Oh, the pain, as Dr. Smith used to say!! lol

    If Cousins plays well tonight, I think it's curtains for RG3 here.

    Take care,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete