Sunday, June 15, 2025

Fathers

When it comes to DC sports teams, I am an unabashed homer. From the Nationals baseball team to the Washington Kastles tennis team, I root for the home team. This includes the Commanders football team, despite the name.

While today’s blog is about championship football, it’s not what you think. I am celebrating the DC Defenders winning the United Football League championship. This league, which was created following the merger of the latest incarnations of the XFL and United States Football League (USFL), started play in March 2024. Notable league owners include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. In their 58-34 win over the Michigan Panthers, the Defenders were led by game MVP Jordan Ta’amu, who was on the Washington Football Team practice squad back in 2021. He went 21 for 28 for 390 yards and four TDs.

It is the first professional championship team for the District since the Washington Spirit won the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) title in 2021.

Before you trivialize these championships, think about the blood and sweat these players provided in their search of competition and achievement. I have a personal saying from my fantasy football life which says you never get tired of winning championships.

In wishing a happy Father’s Day to the dad’s (both in blood and by example), I feel the need to again talk about my own father/son dynamic. In my relationship with my father, it wasn’t the best. I always say that I didn’t know how to be a son to him just as much as didn’t know how to be a father to me…emotionally. But you need to know that there was always food on the table, clothes on my back and he gave me the opportunity for success by helping me earn a quality high school Jesuit education as well as helping me earn my college degree. I also suspect that I got the ‘work ethic’ gene from him that pushes me to try to improve myself to this day. Growing up, there were many times that by the time I got up for school, he had already left for his construction job.

I still wish he had come to just one of my games.

Still, when my father fell ill, my paternal instincts kicked in and I tried to be there for him. We came together at the end the best we could. He passed the day after Father’s Day.

What am I saying? Find time to support your kids when they compete. Whether it’s the field hockey game or spelling bee, you could be surprised the heights they can reach when they feel that someone believes in them.

4 comments: