Monday, September 20, 2010

Shootout in DC

Before I get started , this blog is not about what you think. This is not about crime in the nation's capital.


I watched yesterday's matchup between the Washington Redskins and the Houston Texans. Although we blew a double digit third quarter lead and lost a game we should of (could of) won in overtime, I don't feel as bad as I usually do after a loss.

For starters, our QB Donovan McNabb threw for over 400 yards yesterday. I can't remember the last time that we had a QB throw for that much. Our defense recorded five sacks yesterday, including one by our "animal", pro-bowler Brian Orakpo. Heck, even CB Carlos Rodgers got his first INT in almost two years yesterday. It was a game that easily could have been a W for the Skins.

Despite not making the plays that we needed to down the stretch, which included missing the game winning FG after hitting the initial one after the coach called a timeout to freeze the kicker, as a Skins fan I actually felt more positive about this loss than in the past. We were making plays downfield. We were actually looking more cohesive as a unit and despite 30 points being scored on us, a better more aggressive looking defense. We looked like, wait for it...a team.

Talk about the methods used all you want, Shanny has got this team looking like a team. While it is still early in the season, there is reason for hopes of a playoff run. Stay tuned.

It wasn't all bad for Skins fans....Dallas got mauled by the Bears. I love team imagery.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Breezy, that low bar has fans looking for small nuggets. Red zone issues, no running game but still a sweet sting of a loss. As ol' coach would say, there's no joy in a loss.....

    I'm thinking punt after being "iced" for the FG, how often does a guy kick two 50plus FG in one game no less back to back....but I understand....

    I've got a running bet --- outside of Moss, and any TE, will any other WR catch more than 5 passes in a game this year. I vote yes beacuse of D Mcnabb; he spreads it around...

    And that's the best part of Sundays game...the worst part - zone defense for the second half....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the chances that Dallas will be 0-3 after facing the Texans in Houston next weekend?
    THAT is a game I look forward to seeing.
    Also, now that we have a legitimate coach and QB, I don't see our next opponent, the Rams, making as close a game of it as they were able to last year.
    I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs, but I as well feel better about being a Redskin fan
    these days.

    ReplyDelete