This upcoming Sunday is the 41st meeting of the best players from the NFL's AFC and NFC conferences better known as the Pro Bowl. While this is the 41st modern day era slugfest (saying this tongue in cheek), they have been playing this game since 1938. Back then it used to be the league champion against the All-Stars. After a seven year hiatus (1943-50), the games restarted in earnest with the American conference vs. the National conference. While most game MVP's have been offensive players, the last defensive player to win the award was Derrick Brooks, who picked off a Jake Delhomme pass and ran 59 yards for a score, leading the NFC to a 23-17 victory in 2006. Last year's game (for those who don't remember) was won by the AFC, led by MVP Matt Schaub.
Now, I know what you're thinking: Why is Breezy G telling us this? It leads me to my point about the Pro Bowl: Why do they keep playing? Now understand, this is not a rant. But I wonder how important is this game when, for example, there is no intensity in regards to the game. I have never seen so many players smile this much than this game. It's not even (for the back in the day crew) throw-up tackle intense. The only exception was in that same 2006 game, where Skins safety Sean Taylor (Rest In Peace) crushed punter Brian Moorman of the Bills. Another reason is the lack of actual All-Stars that play. Most are either so beat up, injured or, in this year's case, playing in this year's Super Bowl, that they don't play.
Now, I am as much a traditionist as the next guy, but if they just acknowledge them as Pro Bowlers with a trophy (and cash), I would be OK with that. In either case, for this weekend, i'm saving my popcorn for the Super Bowl.
Have a safe weekend!!!
Finally, the Friday Freeze Jukebox is back with another back in tha day cut. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vldvtc56q28&feature=related
It is played for the free trip to Hawaii and comraderie with other players. Not an interesting game though.
ReplyDeletehey i've been watching the snow from home for a 2-3 days....
ReplyDeleteFor the Pro Bowl Hype let me say....I've missed the last 10 years. And for Cutler the medical staff pulled him from the game. Plus to retrack I would have pulled him after he missed 2 td throws....Mike Martz lost that game...
I am with you Karl, Pro Bowl is a nothing game, just a paid vacation for fun, Bears choked Cutler is a quitter, and Taraji has ALL my attention. Chocolate City gettin it in!!
ReplyDelete