Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Competition

As we come down to the real season in the NBA, the playoffs, I read a (very) spirited discussion with some of my boyz regarding Labron James taking his talents to South Beach, leaving the Cavs for the Heat. One side had a problem with him leaving his hometown in search of a ring while others felt that he has the right to go wherever he wants to play.


Before dealing with the present, let's take a trip down memory lane. Back in my heyday of NBA ball (80's - 90's) you had the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics and everybody else. This era crop of Hall of Famers cited (i.e Magic, Bird, Mike, et al --sorry, love that saying) was battling for the title every year. This was in part due to the players, who came out of college back then (after 4yrs) were ready to play. There was no learning curve with today's ballers. We have to understand that while saw some of the greatest players in league history, you can not say (absolutely) that Pippen would not have made the HOF without Jordan. Same with Parrish and Bird. Parrish was a nine time All-Star. Some would even argue the reverse. My point is that Basketball is a team sport. Those players needed each other. Even Mike couldn't win those six titles by him self.

Now to the present. Off the top, I do not have a problem at all with the players deciding where they want to play and hopefully win championships. Now I have to say that if the league had a better, more seasoned crop of players that didn't just have a Gatorade drink in college, there wouldn't be much jumping around like the House of Pain and Criss Cross. These guys are chasing that ring. This is the now (if not sooner) generation. Using us as an example (very loosely), as much as we were competitive against each other playing sports, if I needed a top flight point guard and power forward, I'm callin my boyz (Clw & Tom) and say, lets do this. The difference is the players in this age are all boys in one way or a another. Bron-Bron, Bosh & D Wade were all on the 2008 Gold medal team. You don't think they were talkin then? With Twitter & Facebook, there is more opportunity to keep in contact and develop friendships. In the old days, there wasn't much of that. I get that. But today's generation is like what the Joker would say, "Why so serious?"

6 comments:

  1. Thanks breezy ...once again you saved craig in our heated debate which he was loosing...I personally have nothing against lebron, wade and bosh but I love competition...In the military you go to the gym on Sat and Sun and the TOP five players on base (supposedly) always get there team together and sign their names up to play together...I always wanted to play against them and beat them...so one time their point guard didn't make it and they asked me to play with them...i was honored...they want me...well we won all day easily...no gratification...the next time that happened I said no...I want to beat yall...after that I always ran with the team I signed up with and some times I won but mostly I lost but I was feeling better either way. Plus I noticed my game got better playing against them..my last point is this...I later played on the base team with those five guys...We would travel to other bases and play their best...these same players that would come to the gym and talk trash to the inferior players...dunk on them...push them around...when they met their competition they had the heart of a mouse!!! Do I question James and BOSH heart...YES I DO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA, me losing.. Bro you need to re-read the transcript, I'm pitching a shut-out.. You made your point about the dudes you played with and them not having any heart.. But my point about Lebron, Wade & Bosh was not about their heart or manhood.. It was simply that if management can do what they feel is right to increase their chances of getting a ring, why can't the players.. And it's not like they invented anything.. Like I said before Moses Malone did the same thing when he left Houston, as a free agent, to go to Philly.. He got his ring and all was good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably because its a business Smuv! If you could set the rules just like your boss could....who's in charge?? Make suggestions and requests sure, but NOT run the show! I'm just saying too many chiefs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No my point is Lebron and bosh don't have heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get your point bro, but that's how that business works.. The players & their skills are the commodity and once they become free agents they can take it where ever they want.. Baseball has been doing it for decades.. My thing is the reason they did it was to get rings, and they left money on the table to do it.. remember, Lebron & Bosh took less than max contracts.. I just don't see why it's wrong for them do what the feel they have to do to get the ring..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of point on both sides there; but I think the main point , Breezy made there was it's a five man game the Heat have three. Mainly no one to check the other team's power forward just needed in the NBA

    For every big free agent move 1 at at time or 2 at a time, there's a bust free agent move that we don't even notice. Elton Brand, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O' Neal, Vin Baker, Joe Smith, Juwan Howard---Jon Koncak.

    NBA salaries are great!

    ReplyDelete