Monday, May 9, 2011

Dichotomy

Part of today's blog is about Boxing...or the lack of it.


I checked out the fight (if you want to call it that) this past weekend between Pac-Man and Sugar Shane Mosley. As I told a couple of people at the time of the fight, it wasn't a fight--it was more a business arrangement. There wasn't much action; there were only two knockdowns (really, their was only one--bad call by the ref). Mosley stayed away just enough not to get knocked out. It was sad seeing a previously fierce and great champion lowered to just being a survivor in the ring.

It also speaks to the sport as a whole. If it's not wanting to fight because of suspected steroid use to just no talent in some weight classes to fighters facing criminal charges, boxing is rolling down a slippery slope. I'm not surprised that I couldn't find any pay-per-view numbers from the fight. If this keeps up, it will not be a surprise to me if they have a fight and no one came.

Part two of today's blog is about props. Gary Williams ended a solid 21+ year run as coach of the Maryland Terrapins this past weekend. He won more than 65% of his games at Maryland, including a tourney championship in 2002. He is the only coach to win a national championship without having a McDonalds All-American on the roster. More importantly, he helped save the program from possible demise after the tragic death of Len Bias. Only Coach K and Dean Smith have won more games in the ACC then him. Players that he has sent to the pros include Joe Smith, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonny Baxter, Terence Morris and Chris Wilcox. I will always remember him for how he sweated through his suits and the intensity he always showed on game day. I wouldn't expect anything less from a guy coaching at his alma mater.

The other shout-out is at the pro level. Phil Jackson ends a 20 year coaching run himself with 11 championships in 20 years. Thirteen titles total as a player (Knicks) and coach. Wow. He three peated twice with two different teams. Funny to me is that he only won the Coach of the Year once. Now I get that that coached arguably three of the top ten greatest players of our all-time (Shaq, Mike and Kobe---don't worry, we will have another blog about this). At that point, it about managing personalities more so that just talent, so he gets credit for that. It's just a shame that he ended his career by being swept, for the first time in his career, by the Mavs. It's more a shame the way a couple of his players acted like total bush leaguers. Lamar Odom and Bynum acted like two spoiled kids with their conduct yesterday. At least Ron Artest has an excuse. The Lakers with their historical success should have shown better professionlism. It's like what Nino Brown told G Money, "...you better than that." The question for Lake show fans is, "Will Kobe come back?"

The real question for me is "Will basketball come back?"

9 comments:

  1. If basketball is back, Kobe is back. The Black Mamba is far from done. The Laker's latest era of dominance is over. Mad props to Phil Jackson for putting the Lakers back on top after the dark decade of the 90's. As a longtime Laker fan (circa 1980 Magic Johnson) it pains me to watch them implode like they did with all due respect to the Mavs who earned this series
    with superior play and sick athleticism! I also wanted to reach through the tv screen and choke Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum for being classless punks and intentionally trying to injure Maverick players when they knew they had lost the game. They really tarnished the reputation of a proud franchise with their cowardly acts and I hope they both miss several games on suspension. As far as the fight I didn't see it but I am not surprised that Pac Man won. Shane Mosely is years removed from being a relevant fighter. Lastly, much respect and admiration for Mr. Intensity, Gary Williiams. He held it down for a long time at Maryland winning a national championship and lots of games over a plus 20 year stay at College Park. I think the ACC crucible has just worn him out trying to keep up with Duke and North Carolina every year.

    I was always afraid he might have a coronary or a stroke on the sideline because of how hard he coached. Have a great retirement Gary, you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good piece and can't wait for the follow up story regarding Phil...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lakers always re-load. look for Mitch Kupchak to slip two new big men in the lineup some how. Will Orlando repeat their past and give up another center to LA

    I love Gary, but face it big name players are not going to Maryland to play system ball when they can go somewhere else and get the green light freshman year. But Hall of Fame career. I'm still a little miffed he black-balled Gilchrest after he singlehandedly won the ACC title for him. His recruiting was falling too fast. Who the next coach.....

    Can we get a brother - the Athletic Dir is a brother, (there he goes with that black stuff again) Keith Booth's on the bench...

    Did the controversy over Gary meddling into NC state search for coach have anything to do with this ..? Just saying

    ....with a K

    ReplyDelete
  4. KJ, you are on target. My son spend a week at Gary summer basketball camp (big $) and I was totally disappointed with the organization and care of the children (total waste of money). As with LA all empires will eventually collapse or implode with time, they will be back. But as noted Breez, will Kobe be back; And I add survive the rerorg, time is not on his side. Anyway good call ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. In regards to the Lakers classlessness remember Isaiah and how he displayed his Isiahness against the Bulls when Chicago started their run also check out Jason Whitlock's article yesterday and you might not be so surprised.

    In regards to Gary Williams at least he won a title with less talent than all of Lefty's squads. I agree with Phi Nupe the NC state debacle helped sealed his fate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yeah Faulcon, I remember Isaih and the Pisstons snubbing the Bulls like it was yesterday. I couldn't stand that team during their breif reign. As far as the classlessness
    we just saw Sunday, I hope the actions of two idiots (Bynum and Odom) don't put the whole team in a bad light. When the Pisstons acted like a**holes it was a team effort.
    You didn't see Kobe or Fisher doing that dumb stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good call on Whitlock, Jimmy F.. He bought up some stuff I had forgot... Personally I’m just glad that this run for them is over.. My motto for the playoffs is still ABK, anybody but Ko-me.. And I am loving watching OKC & Memphis go at it.. The series with Dallas will be a good one whichever one of them wins.. Boston/ Miami has been good too, but I don’t want to upset the Ko-me lovers and Heat haters by bringing up Lebron & D Wade.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's to be upset about when it comes James and Wade? They have'nt won anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, here they come.. KG I knew you were a Ko-me lover, but didn’t know you were on the Heat hating train too.. Bro, I’m glad you put yet.. Truthfully I didn’t think they’d win it this year, but they are showing something in the playoffs.. And above all that, they are still playing while your boy is somewhere ready to explode, throw a couple team mates under the bus and hoping that Phil change his mind.. LOL

    ReplyDelete