Despite the bad rap I give Baseball, I still love the game. It was the first sport that I played in my previous life as a young athlete in my single digit days. More than four decades later, I still remember my first hit (a single) in my first organized game like it was yesterday. I was hitting against a pitcher who was a sidewinder (pitcher who threw from the side instead of over the top).
I was a catcher during my entire baseball “career”. I loved playing that position. From being that coach on the field to encouraging my pitcher to get that key batter out, I enjoyed being my team’s quarterback. One of the pitchers that I caught for as a kid ended up becoming a WBC lightweight champion as an adult. While Darryl Tyson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Tyson) was also a champion as a welterweight who had a career record of 50-14-1, I will always remember him for the incredible curve ball that he had at the age of nine. I have no doubt that he could have been a great major league pitcher.
Why this walk down memory lane? One of the major reasons I love baseball: Last night’s All-Star Game, also known as the Mid-Summer classic. For my money, this is my favorite all-star game. While I don’t enjoy stuff like the Home Run Derby, I love the in-game homeruns like the one that Prince Fielder hit last night. They can leave all that commercial stuff like having a pool at the ballpark to swim in during the game (Are you kidding me?) in the boardrooms. I’m from the Jimmy F. School of sports: just go out and play the game. The memories will happen.
Memories like these are the reason that I tune in to the All-Star game. One of my favorite moments of this year’s game was the Padres all-star that spent time with some kids in the stands who were watching the game. He gave them some souvenirs like his backpack and some of his baseball cards. It reminded me of an endearing memory I have when my pops took me to an exhibition game between the Red Sox and the Mets at RFK Stadium. I was one of those kids who strained his arm out hoping to get Carl Yastrzemski’s autograph (got it too). Memories like this bring tears to my eyes to this day.
What’s your favorite baseball moment either as a player, fan or both? I know you got one.
My favorite memory as an Oriloe fan was the O's recording the last out against the Phillies in 1983 to win their last World Series championship and attending the victory parade down Charles Street. I played hooky from work for that one.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite "baseball" memory is when Funk Mob was playing out at Druid Hill Park in the Bowl and Breezy was catching. Everytime there was a foul ball behind the plate, Breezy would pounce up and in the course of doing so, stepped on the ump's foot. This happened throughout the game. So much so that the White ump started limping and almost called Breezy a Black "Ninja" one time. That's my favorite memory - you asked...
ReplyDeleteBeeezy G,
ReplyDeleteI' ve never been much of a baseball fan; It's one of the few sports where people actually fall asleep during the game...
My best memories (at least the last ones)other than the company that gave me the free tickets, are goin to get the "saw-sege" with green peppers and fried onions and an ice cold Stella.....
Can't remember the score, don't know who's pitching, what inning it is but the belches are oh so good!
....with a K
PS - I seem to remember back during my Umpire days Breezy knocking over a fan or two going for a foul tip at Burdick field but then again my memory isn't as good as it used to be...
Greg, as you know I have many memories of this grand game after playing it for almost 30 years! I started playing baseball when I was 8, but I remember watching the Orioles play from my play pen and my favorite player was Boog Powell! He is the reason why I bat left handed and throw right handed. Like I said, I have memories on top of memories of baseball games, practices, hits, catches, wins and losses! As I alwaysstate to people, the most skilled sport that one can play!! The stats bear it out, succeed for a career at 30% and you are in the Hall of Fame!! Try that one on for size!
ReplyDeleteI'm late 2 da party, but i have 2 agree, itz a top 10 Pirates/FunkMob/Pirates moment. I'll even go out on da limb & say inside da "Top 5".
ReplyDeleteMATT you are telling the truth. LOL. That UMP said carn sarn flip flap and a myriad of curse words. Damn I needed a laugh down here in Charlotte and that was it!!!! Truly truly a Classic as a matter of fact Ninja did almost come out . Whew Solid
ReplyDeleteNo doubt that was #1!!! Here is #2:
ReplyDeleteFunk Mob vs V103 at The Dust Bowl!! Starring Silky Smooth "Prime Time" in left field, with his dripping wet Jeri-Curl and Chips sun shades....Pretty as a Mutha!!! Deep "FOUL" ball hit to left
field...back...back...back...TING....MUAH!!!! Slick Azz kisses the light pole! Stay Soft Fro juice everywhere!! 20 minute game delay, waiting for the ambo!! Next to your umpire rampage, this gotta be #2!!!! A CLASSIC!
Both those are great memories how bout Craig setting a guiness book record for the most walks in a softball game and slugger's son cuzzing at him.
ReplyDeleteAnother Classic!! I think it was 14 in a row!! Me and Matt were sitting down in the outfield. Devin was 8 years old. I think he said..."Damn Mr. Craig, you're sorry as shyt"!!!! Hence the beginning of Chandler's pitching career!!
ReplyDelete