Monday, July 23, 2012

Culture Shock

The NCAA brought the pain to Penn State like Method Man in handing out what may not be the death penalty, but it's very close.

The Nittany Lions will lose a total of 90 scholarships over the next four years, was placed on probation for five years and was fined 60 million dollars. In addition, Penn State forfeited all their wins from 1998 - 2011 (which include six bowl wins and two conference titles). Head coach Joe Paterno, who was the winningest coach in college football history, fell to 12th after forfeiting 111 wins.

Let's take this from the top. For all you Penn State'ers who said that they should not be punished because the people that helped to create this are no longer there, the NCAA said ah, no. The NCAA said in their ruling that not only that Penn State did it, they would do it again if they had to. They told Penn State that this was a culture thing and you better understand. Like I said in my blog about this last year (November 10th), at the least Joe Pa should have pulled his boy up and said "what's up?". Instead, he went Godfather style and said, "I'll take care of it." In this case, it was both the crime and the cover up that's equally bad.

My only issue is that the NC2A didn't go in Penn State's pocket deep enough. The 60 million dollar fine was just equal to the school's average annual revenue of the football program. While the money will be used to help fund an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims", I say "Really?" Just one year? The alumni will make that up at the next fundraiser.

At the end of the day, we are talkin about child abuse. What if it had been more than just one person?

8 comments:

  1. I SEE YOU HAVE NOT LOST YOUR “KEEN” PERCEPTIVE INSIGHT….. DEPTH OF UNDERSTANDING…AND THE ABILITY TO SEPERATE ISSUES…..I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!! AS AN ASIDE YOU KNOW I’VE STOLEN… “YEA’ I DID IT ..AND I’D DO IT AGIN’…….AS WELL AS “ IF I COULD JUST GET FIVE MINUTES”…..THE LADY WHO INSPIRED THIS REMARK.. SHALL REMAIN ANONYMOUS TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT….ALSO THE “BASKETBALL HISTORY” THE GREAT WORK..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the punishment was not severe enough, what about the other participants in the cover up , School board, School President, lead investigators, Pa. Atty General (now Gov. Corbett who took over 600K from 2nd mile), but I guess that is what civil courts are for.

    As far as the University, one year of 60 million on a 1.8 billion dollar program is peanuts. 1000 million equals a billion. Not what if ..Breezey, it was a culture of cover up, from the towel boy to the school president. Nothing like this happens without other people knowing and clearly looking the other way. This is a culture of sex abuse like the catholic church.

    By the way when JoPa was inching up to the all time wins, like you said, he was the winning- est in college footbal, now that he has those wins pulled

    And Eddie Robinson is back on top, Eddie all of a sudden is the winning-est in Div II, no Eddie is the winning-est in College Football Period!


    ...with a K

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not have gone deep into their pocket but all in all it restores Coach Robinson with all time wins. Interestingly enough the Penn State debauchery/deceit did not come forward until after Paterno passed Coach Robinson's record

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 admit that ur articles r informative, i.e. ("The Ren") piece was "PHAAT", most props! But my opinon on PENN ST. I apology rite now 4 what I'm bout say.F%*K penn st, they should've been slammed 60mil times the number yrs of that sandusky violated those kids & NO FOOTBALL 4 that period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No argument here..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. The NCAA commish jumped the gun!! This is a criminal investigation that has yet to played out fully in the court system. I for one do not like and never have liked Penn St, however, they still get the benefit of due process. So now if there is a criminal act at any school, the NCAA will be coming to shut your school down!!! Stick to recruiting violations and schools cheating!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't say it yesterday the nc2a's r 2 govern the university 2 keep up integrity across the board & Penn St. lost their vision on that. So with that being said they got off not as bad as it deserved. If a young athlete can't sell their own property 2 have a couple $$ in their pockets just survive, & the gangsters (nc2a's) take gms, or seasons away, pervert sometimes university, oh my bad penn st. univ., got over period...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penn State got the hammer because of the years of cover up, corruption and the culture of football being put above young boys lives. The evidence was clear, everybody knew and did nothing. Even the beloved JoPa. The only thing left for the courts is the Civil trials where I'm sure Penn State will get crushed

    It was so bad for JoPa he had to off himself ......

    ReplyDelete