Monday, July 26, 2010

Down...Set...Blue 14...Blue 14...Hut..Hut!!

It's official! The football season has officially began with the opening of training camps. And right out of the box the drama begins with who else, Jerry's team, the Dallas Cowboys. Just to let you know, this blog will never call the Cowboys America's team.

The latest drama involves their 1st round pick, WR Dez Bryant. So far, he has done all of the company's things: signed early, was officially the first player to hit the field for camp. Even got HOF'ers Michael Irvin's #88 (how in the heck did he do that?). All before he makes his first catch in the NFL.

Generally, rookies are pressured (by the vets) to do some tasks to show solidarity with the team. Milder examples of this include singing the team fight song and ,in the case of former head coach Bill Parcells, have the rookies bring him cups of water.

WR Roy Williams, who also will be competing with him for a staring job at wide receiver, wanted Bryant to carry his shoulder pads for him, a typical vet demand of a rookie. Bryant said no. Here's where I draw the line the line. Who does he think he is? Oh, I know, he's Dez Bryant, who had the bomb 2008 season with 19 TD's, but just 10 in the other two seasons. He is part of that entitlement generation that feels that everything should be given to him before doing anything. Why do I feel a T.O. thing coming on ?

Personally, I think justice will be meted out by the vets in one way or another. I don't want say how, but things have a way evening themselves out in the NFL. Either way, this will have to dealt with or it could grow into something more dysfunctional. It couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

Song of the Day: "The World is Mine" (from the movie Scarface)

No comments:

Post a Comment