Drew Gooden: 5yrs - 32mil. Channing Frye: 5yrs. - 30mil. Rudy Gay - 16 mil/yrs for 5 years. To the naked NBA fan eye, it would seem that there is something wrong with this picture. How are these guys getting paid like this?
It depends on how you look at it. On the one hand, most of these middle of the road guys are servicable (and relatively) proven guys in that you know what you are going to get. They will help to put a decent product on the floor. In comparision to what the superstars (i.e., James, Wade, et al - sorry, I like that phrase) are going to get , the owners are getting off cheap. It also speaks to the salary scale of the league, which I'm sure will be addressed with the upcoming bargaining talks.
The other point leads me to the BreezyG Theory of Value: The value of anything in the world is EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay for it.
These starters have set the bar for non superstar service-able players.
ReplyDeleteCan I get some of that $? I can take a charge above the dotted line like no other!