Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Life's Decisions

It's rant time.


One of the things I consider a right of passage if you are a true football fan (and can afford it) is the renewing of your NFL Sunday Football Ticket, a Direct TV sports package that shows almost all of the league games during the NFL season. In existence since 1994, the ticket's popularity has expanded to Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Bermuda and the Bahamas. It also has other packages such as Superfan, which has the Game Mix (which shows 8 games at the same time, The Red Zone Channel (acts as a viewer's "remote control" and switches around various NFL games as plays of interest occur (scoring plays, key turnovers, etc.) and Short Cuts, which recaps almost every NFL game in 30 minutes or less.

They just extended the contract they have with the NFL, paying four billion (that's right, with a B) for the rights through the year 2014.

I can still remember being seduced by DTV, when they said I could get the Ticket for FREE as well as the full channel package for the rest of the year if I signed up. That was a few years ago. I've been in love ever since.

Now let's be clear. I can not watch all of the games at the same time. But I do enjoy watching the big plays (live). Any game, at any moment. I know that on paper, I am not getting my money's worth. Helping to feed my addition, is my love for fantasy football, now in it's 15th year. It's one of the few indulgences that I allow myself for all the hard work at my job, my business and my life. I happily pay the premium for this package.

Until now.

This years cost for the package is $300 dollars. Five monthly payments of sixty bucks. It has even caused me, a loyal fan, to pause. I could barely afford last years payments. Even my love has it's limits.

I don't what I'm going to do. On the one hand, football is one of the few passions of my life and on the other hand, three hundred dollars is three hundred dollars.

Then again, it is only two bucks a day.

Rest In Peace to Jack Tatum...

Song of the day: Love's Theme - Barry White

1 comment:

  1. I agree .... but you summed it up two bucks a day!!!!

    Yeah I remember Tatum sticking folks like it was yesterday

    ReplyDelete