The NFL started it's annual league draft of college players and I was glad to see no posturing (by either side) and let the players enjoy their night. This is the place where I say to the haters that think that this night is over glorifying the players for work they have not yet done in the league...get over yourselves!! This night is for the perceived "valedictorians" of the college ranks. Or as Zed (from Men In Black) would say, "the best of the best".
I want to get bad stuff out of the way first. My major peeve was how the producers went to the players that got the phone call from the team that was going to draft them before the announcement. Like Chris Carter says, "Come on Man!!" Leave a little drama for the viewers. There was also a little bit overanalyzing by the crew covering the event; point is nobody knows anything until these guys get on the field. While the anchors were decent, my favorite was "Chucky" Gruden.
Now as I fill my glass back up to 51% full, there were some great human moments. It's actually ok for grown men to express their emotions after knowing that all the hard work that they did from point A to that moment got your name called to the stage. The more touching moments for me were the extended mother/son embraces. The moment of the night for me were the uncontrollable tears of RB Mark Ingram (Saints) when reporter Suzy Kolber read the e-mail of his father, who is currently in jail on fraud charges. I felt it too when she read to him that his father was proud of him. Wow. As he told his father, "we did it."
This blog is not about technical analysis or projected stats. This is about the men under the helmets and pads and the families that support them. Sure, they are the league new millionaires, but I also acknowlege the families and their hand in their acheivements. Because long after the cheering has ended at the end of their careers, (all together now) all you still have is family.
Today's Friday Freeze Jukebox is a tribute to the mother's (and/or their memories) that helped these players achieve. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GjxlguPYo0
No comments:
Post a Comment