Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Team

I know it's basketball season, but I can't help it: They are still my home team.


I'm talkin about my Washington Redskins. For the past year, I have been in a personal struggle with myself regarding my football loyalties. I have been strongly thinkin about totally shifting my devotion to my goomah team, the Ravens. When I'm hangin with Raven fans (even though they know I'm a Skins fan), they still show me love and they always hold a seat for me on their playoff bandwagon. That combined with the dysfunction of my team, it's becoming very attractive.

Then I see stories like yesterday and it just complicates things. Half of the team (26) showed up for...practice. Just them. No coaches. No owners. No administrative guys. Led by defensive captain London Fletcher, who stopped at a sports store to get some football stuff (i.e, footballs, pylons etc.), they just ran some plays, clarified dialogue and just enhanced their commaderie. Understand that some players came as far as Texas (Brian Orakpo) and California for these sessions. As Redd Foxx said on the movie Harlem Nights, "I like to see s--t like that.

Now I can see some of you saying that this was just a publicity stunt to help sway public opinion to the player's side during the current labor strife. I get that. But as a Skins fan, I just wasn't feelin that. I was just seeing guys that truly love the game and, as one of my B-more boys would say, "...doing what they do." Maybe my glasses are blurred like Run DMC, but I already can't wait for next season.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever GREG !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up on the Skins yet!! I think if we can get a decent QB ( I know, easier said than done), we'll be okay. Which QB out there do you like, that will be available to us in this years draft?? I hope we don't go for Locker, cause i heard he's not at all accurate. If you ask me, the best QB's are smart and accurate (if you have mobility and arm strength, like Rodgers, then you are a quadruple threat - lol). I would like to see us add another O-lineman, and then a QB that we can groom to take over in a year or two. I'm not a big
    Grossman fan - I don't know what Kyle Shanahan sees in him.

    take care,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the Skins have sure enough had bad luck drafting qb's - Shuler, who everyone loved, Ramsey, who was beaten like a pinata under Spurrier - he of the 5 receiver sets. You'd think after all these years we'd luck into a qb like Brady, who couldn't get off the bench until Bledsoe got injured in New England. I believe in building up the offensive and defensive lines, which Snyder has never seemed to like doing. We'll see what happens.
    Maybe it's best that they trade down and get more picks????

    p.s. in reference to your latest blog, it would be fun to get together (Wing factory??) and catch a Caps playoff game ( tickets are tooooo expensive) lol

    ReplyDelete