Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rant of the Week

How ya doin sports fans?


Every once in a while, I go on a rant. For some of the people who read my stuff, some can't tell the difference. In either case, I don't use any stats to back up my thoughts, don't cite any sources. I just...well, rant.

Today's target is the one of the biggest pimps in the sports game: the NCAA. They have one of the largest stable of workers in sports that generate billions (with a B) of dollars for the organization. If this is not enough, they now want to fill their bulging pockets even more by adding a fake final 4, adding four additional teams to have a "play-in" tournament to get in the big dance. I don't know all of the particulars, they don't even know themselves yet.

I got beef because I'm a purist when it comes to the tournament. It's just about one of the best sports events in our sports landscape. It's called March Madness, even though the championship game is now in April. I can live with that. But it's just the continual juicing of the athlete-students (I did mean to say it that way) to help increase the bottom line.

Some would say that it's a fair exchange because the school offers a opportunity to earn a college degree. Fine. Others say that it help to expands the athlete-student's view of the world. I get that. But I look at it in terms of dollars and cents. In most cases, it's billions vs...maybe hundreds of thousands for that average competitor. As soon as their eligibility is used up, that's it.

You know what I would like to see? I would like to see curriculums actually geared toward the athletes that will not be around for the complete four years. I would like these classes/workshops help to these athletes to plan for life after college. Examples of this include money management and how to help build successful teams to help themselves. Even a year of this would help. I also would like to see these athletes get larger slice of the pie. These guys are not just your average students.

Whew, I feel better already.

Song of the day: Slick Rick -  Pimpin Ain't Easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybC7wOAeXpk

7 comments:

  1. Once again breezy...you should be the third person on PTI...I believe instead of extending the field of teams...the NCAA should have replied " win more games and get in"!!! I remember when it was 32 teams!!! I remember when MD had the best team in the country but couldn't beat NC state and didn't get in!! hell I remember when the NIT was the tournament to get in...LOL...I will say this...cost of education is worth an athlete's talent....my nephew full ride to MD...scholarship for 6 years over $200,000 just think if you can graduate school and be debt free!!! As far as school UMD football has a pretty good staff...for instance during the riots after MD beat Duke...they were told by the coaching staff not to be out partying...plus he takes summer classes so that during the season his workload is lighter!!! Responsibility is still the person!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur...

    it's time the players sued the NCAA for using their likeness on them video games and start receiving a stipend. I don't believe money spent for housing, feeding, and educating an athletes balances out and that maybe due to my conspiracyism and distrustful of money grabbing thugs dressed in business suits.

    Check this out...each round a school advances in the March Madness, that's money and the stakes are higher depending upon which round they reach. So for instance Duke, generated well over 2 millon for advancing to the final four and then more money for advancing to the championship round. Now, for one year it would cost say $35-$40 thousand per athlete for that year and how many scholarships are allowed...7-8 so we are talking maybe for education and all the school spent $280 thousand(on the high end). And I am not including the money received from other venus and television. PIMPING PIMPING PIMPING. It's a business plain and simple and in business, your bottom line is what is important. Oh and keeping the boosters happy and the donations coming in so it's important to have a winning team.

    It is what is...that's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I get what G is saying but come on now...he, you, me, and millions of others see that Dollars -Billions of them (with a B) and you can hold the cents on this one; IS THE BOTTOM LINE. Our whole country is all about the Benjaman with strain like none of have seen before. The catylist for all things and no time for GOD and the doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. But rather, I have equities so" I'll do this" solely to protect them. So what's GOD got to do with it you ask? Exactly!!! Round and round the paper goes...where oh were will it stop! You know where...

    I'm just sayn' and as we all can attest--at the end of the day...it is what it is!

    Thanks for sharing,
    D out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur... it's time the players sued the NCAA for using their likeness on them video games and start receiving a stipend. I don't believe money spent for housing, feeding, and educating an athletes balances out and that maybe due to my conspiracyism and distrustful of money grabbing thugs dressed in business suits. Check this out...each round a school advances in the March Madness, that's money and the stakes are higher depending upon which round they reach. So for instance Duke, generated well over 2 millon for advancing to the final four and then more money for advancing to the championship round. Now, for one year it would cost say $35-$40 thousand per athlete for that year and how many scholarships are allowed...7-8 so we are talking maybe for education and all the school spent $280 thousand(on the high end). And I am not including the money received from other venus and television. PIMPING PIMPING PIMPING. It's a business plain and simple and in business, your bottom line is what is important. Oh and keeping the boosters happy and the donations coming in so it's important to have a winning team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry but I disagree...the cost of an education is very expensive. You are given people the chance of a lifetime to see the United States, experience life and get that piece of paper that may be their ticket out of the ghetto. Many of these guys/girls are the first to attend college in their family. Many have never left their prospective city.At the same time some of these guys go pro and make millions of dollars. Do they pay the school back for their tuition? Good example my Nephew from MD...His first day he got their he had all his books on his bed waiting for him, he had enough MD gear(underarm) to wear all summer(shorts, shirts sneakers etc) and the first thing they did was to take him to get a check for $1000(which he gets every month while in school). He lives in the athletics dorm (nice)already, training table food (steak etc) and during the season when they travel he stays in top hotels in rooms with king size beds and is given more money to eat with....now if that's being pimped...I wished I was pimped at 18 like he is being pimped. As for likeness...Video games are these kids today life...go up to any kid and say sign this release and we are going to put you in this Video game and they would knock you down after signing it to go tell everyone...my niece has ran around for two years telling kids her brother is on a Video game...LOL...after saying all that ...I hate the NCAA organization too because of unfair rulings...punishment of the athelete not the coach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I like the expansion, make it 96. the more the better but add more 2nd tier teams, HBCU's, not more of the ACC, Big East, 10; Give other teams a chance at the dollars, limit the number per conference if a team is better, if you have 10 losses you don't beat out a team with fewer losses and more wins. Look you get a scholarship, you're hooked with mad gear, the only thing missing is the ability to work like all other studens. And last I checked you pick your courses in college.

    ReplyDelete