Monday, April 4, 2011

Championship

There are two ways to look at tonight's championship matchup between the Butler Bulldogs (who's mascot I love) and the Connecticut Huskies (from my favorite conference). I'm sure that you already know who I think will win, but let me tell you why anyway.


For Butler, they are the first team to make it to the title game in back-to-back games since Florida won their titles in 2006 & 07. They have done with the two classic themes: rebounding and defense. Leading the blue collar work on the boards is senior boardsman Matt Howard, who has been averaging 16 points and seven rebounds per game in the tourney. Seven rebounds a game may not seem a lot on paper, but tell that to the guys he's been banging around the rim in the tournament. Also keep a eye on Ronald Norad at the defensive end. On the perimeter, it's been junior guard Shelvin Mack, who has stepped up his game, averaging just under 21 points a game (up from his regular season number of 14ppg) on 47% shooting. VCU made the mistake of calling out Mack before their final four matchup. Mack responded with a 24 point performance on 8-11 shooting (including 5-6 from 3 point range).

For the UConn Huskies, their steelo is from the outside. While probable lottery pick Kemba Walker, who has been averaging 25 a game, has been getting all the press, his supporting cast have been holding up their end of the bargain as well. Freshman Jeremy Lamb has been anything but meek wise, averaging 17 points a game on 61% shooting. He has tailored his game to the need of the game at hand, whether it's scoring 24 points against San Diego State or getting 12 and nine rebounds against Kentucky this past weekend. Another who will have to play big against the Bulldogs bigs is seven footer Charles Okwandu, playing in his last collegiate game. As for team defense, they played a entire season in the Big East. Enough said.

While I'm tempted to say that the Huskies have the edge in coaching, they don't. Butler head coach Brad Stevens has pushed all the right buttons winning his last ten games in a row in getting his team to the title game for the second year in a row. For coach Jim Calhoun, he's going for his third title, riding his own 14 game run. If he wins, he will join John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Bobby Knight and Coach K as the only three time title winners. Not bad for a team who went 9-9 in the Big East this past year.

In either case, it will be a great matchup. In this case, I'm getting my Hennessy ready.

3 comments:

  1. Andy ... I'll have Bourbon. My bracket had UConn & Kansas as the Championship Game and Uconn as my pick.

    However I think this game is evenly matched and should be GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My buddy Starcinda said….

    I’m a sucker for the ‘real college athlete” and I want Butler to win. Calhoun shouldn’t get all the calls like the Duke coach last year; so Butler has a good chance for the upset. If Calhoun wins it all it would be a travesty, b/c he should be suspended. He could win it all and never even serve the 8 game suspension he has waiting for him next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an even big game if there ever was one. The big if for me is ---Can anyone stay in front of Kemba Walker. Butler's interior defense is good but UConn relies on Walker outside -in. So when all things are even who can go one on one and get theirs......I'll take UConn.

    UConn women's, what, yeah, women's b-ball lost - Big upset - A fine honey, I mean, a fine palyer Skylar Diggins was killing 28pts;

    Maya Moore the best ever in women's college b-ball ....? the only women's player in Division I history to reach 2,500 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 assists, 250 steals, and 150 blocks

    Compare if you will .....Nancy Lieberman. Teresa Edwards. Cheryl Miller. Chamique Holdsclaw. Tamika Catchings. Sue Bird. Diana Taurasi. Seimone Augustus.

    ReplyDelete