For the last couple of years, Ravens fans have shown me love by letting hop on their bandwagon when the playoffs get underway. Today, I am turning the tables and extending an invite to them and everyone else within eyesight of this blog to get on board the Washington Capitals bandwagon. Now, I personally know that there are Caps fans in the Baltimore area; I have gone to both restaurants and bars in the B-More area and have seen fans watching our games on TV and wearing Ovi jerseys.
Unlike some of the other teams in my area, the Caps have had solid success in recent years. They have won their division (Southeast) the last four years. They made their only finals appearance in 1998, losing to the Detroit Red Wings. Last year they won the Presidents Trophy for having the most points during the regular season.
They opened up this years playoff run by defeating the New York Rangers in five games. Why this is special like the Church Lady is that this is the first time we have wrapped up a series earlier than seven games in more then ten years. The seem to have my formula for success: They have the superstar in four time All-Star Alexander Ovechkin (32 goals, 53 assists) and a solid defense. A little noticed trade that was made just before the deadline acquired center Jason Arnott from the New Jersey Devils. Arnott, who won a championship with the Devils, has brought both experience and leadership to the Caps. As General Manager George McPhee said of Arnott, "I guess you can never underestimate the value of leadership". As Blaine from the show Living Color would say, "Ain't that the truth, Ruth".
Now understand, for a playoff starved DC fan (respect to DC United - four titles), i'm with it. My crew knows that I enjoy hockey as much as any other of the major sports. Now I admit, my concentration on the Caps was diverted in part because of the Skins and Wiz. But no more. So K, gas up the wagon and like Kool Moe Dee said, "Let's Go".
Well they have a good shot since their nemesis, Crosby isn't in front of them and they aren't running into a hot Philly team. I two watch hockey, but only during the playoffs. No fighting and good clean hockey!
ReplyDeleteSorry Greg. I just can't get into hockey. Thanks for the invite though.
ReplyDeleteBreezey,
ReplyDeleteYou know I'm all in on the Caps.
KG try a little hockey it' s like running a full court three man weave / fast break drill for 60 minutes....Plus a little hiting at the boards and the blue line...
The give and go is the number one play
.....with a k
Greg,
ReplyDeleteI’m with K.G. on this one, it’s what he said….thanks anyway….
Alison “No Can Do” Leonard-Leach
Yeah, Greg, I'm Rockin' the Red too!! I think this just might be the Caps year!!
ReplyDeleteHow about Neuvirth - just hope he doesn't wake up and remember he's a rookie.
And I agree with you - picking up Arnott was a turning point. I think he took the young
stars aside and said 'Hey, this is what you have to do to win', that is, play defense, and sacrifice the body by blocking shots. Montreal took us out by blocking shots last year, something that seemed to be 'beneath' the mighty Caps last year. You wanna win, pay the price!!!! And they are paying it - LOVE IT!! Will you be surprised to see Ovie hoising the Stanley Cup this year?? I won't!
The monkey is off the back and running with it's tail between it's legs up a tree somewhere (I was gonna say it had it's head sticking up through a table in some Asian restaurant, but that was a little too cruel) I know, I'm warped... lol
take care,
Tim